.22-250, .243, .30-06: One to do them all?

Jbotto

I'm starting to reload for the .22-250 and was wondering if there was a powder (not Varget, can't find it) that would work well in all three? As of now I'm thinking my best bet would be IMR4064, IMR4350, or IMR4895. Bullet weights will be 50-55gr in the .22-250, 85-100 in the .243, and 165gr in the .30-06. Any thoughts guys? Thanks for any helpful advice in advance!

Mike / Tx

I sold my 22-250, so can't be much help with it. However, I picked up an 8# jug of H-4350 to cover the others you mention. I mostly shoot 90 - 100gr loads in my .243's and 130 - 165 in my .308 and 30-06's. The Hodgdon is a slight bit slower and I get great groups and plenty of velocity from my 22'ish inch barrels.

Not knowing much of the load data with the 250 I can't say for certain but with the other two if all you have is the IMR version of 4350 I would give it a good run through and see how it works for you.

JASmith

Take a look at loads for H414 / Win 760. Speed is similar to 4350, so it should do well. Being spherical powders, they also meter well. Loads are identical between H414 and Win 760 too.

Jbotto

Thanks guys! Revisiting my manuals and trying to find some common ground. I'm kind of a minimalist when it comes to rifle powders. Until now, I just have been able to use Varget for everything, but since I still can't find it, I'm branching out a bit. Looks like some good suggestions. I RE-discovered the powder chart in the Lee Manual and am beginning to see how useful that one is.
Keep the suggestions coming!

44 AMP

Staff
Any medium rate rifle powder will work. Those on the slower end will not work as well for some loading as those on the faster end, and vice versa.

Your problem as a minimalist is that you may not find a powder that shoots acceptably well in all three rifles.

Seriously, I have seen rifles that don't seem to care what you load them with, rifles that do poorly with one powder and fine with everything else, and rifles that will only perform their best with a specific kind of powder.

You've got 3 rifles, its possible you could have one of each of these types. Or any other possible combination.

They only way you can find out is by loading and shooting and keeping track of which one does what.

Jbotto

I accept those facts AMP. So far though in the past few years of reloading, is that I get acceptable performance with Varget in a .223, .243, and .30-06. Now I added a second .243 as well as a .22-250. I haven't loaded for the two newest yet, but time will tell if I have a picky one in my racks. Thanks for explaining that out. I'm branching out though, so when the day comes that I DO get a picky one, I'll have some different powders to try!

Jbotto

Ended up buying a pound of each H414 and IMR4064 to try. That was about all the rifle powders I could find at both Cabela's and Scheels.

44 AMP

Staff
I've been reloading since the early 70s, and am currently set up to load for over 30 different rifle and handgun rounds, ranging from .22 Hornet to .458 Win mag.

I've never had really bad results with any suitable powder, but in some guns, some powder are just mediocre, and others really shine.

IMR 4064 is an old and trusted friend to me, along with many others. Good place to start, and good standby as well. The only down side to the stick type powders is sometimes they don't meter smoothly in the powder measure.

Ball and flake types meter like water, usually.

"Overbore" cases (large capacity vs bore size cases) often turn in their highest velocities with slower powders. Accuracy, of course is dependent on the individual rifle, and its load preferences. The .22-250 and the .243 are on the overbore side of things. You may get a benefit from the slower powders in these cases, you may not. Again, individual rifle preference. I generally use medium rate powders in these calibers (IMR 4064, 4320, WW 748, etc.) and have been getting very acceptable results for decades. IMR 4895 is my go to powder for all the WWII milsurp calibers, and certain Hodgon and Hercules powders are very useful as well. H380 was intended for the .22-250 and the classic load (38gr w/55gr bullet) has been very popular for a long time.

The current situation of on the shelf powder (and everything else) availability truly sucks. Get what you can, try it. When you can find something else, try that. You may find a wonder powder that works really well in everything you have. You may not. Either way, you get to shoot to find out, and that's never a totally bad thing, right?

Good Luck, and if I can be of any help, just ask.

Doyle

RL17 works great for a .243, OK in a 30-06, and barely OK in a .223 (a little too slow unless you have a really long barrel).

FrankenMauser

There have been many suitable suggestions above, but the first powder that popped into my head was...

H380

The 4064 you picked up should also work fairly well.

Jbotto

Thanks AMP, always a ton of good information in your posts! I'll maybe get to try these powders out next week if I get some reloading done tomorrow or Saturday between shifts at work.

FrankenMauser, I was dead set and ready to try a pound of H380, but none was available. So I went with two others that were on my list to look for. I'll be set for awhile now!

Thanks for the suggestions guys! Always a ton of good information from people with experience different from my own.

Bart B.

IMr4064. It's got the best track record for accuracy in those cartridges. IMR4350 may be best for the .243 with heavy bullets.

jcinnb

4350 seems to be the king of powders for my 25-06' which is in the middle of your group. 4064 also appears to be near universal.

Good luck!

Idaho Spud

I like IMR 4064, but getting them big kernels into 22's (even with a long tube) is slow. Never tried it in all of those mentioned, but H380 sounds good. And it flo-o-ows.

jmr40

In general I don't think trying to use 1 powder for several very different chamberings is a good idea. It may work great in one, but rarely will give more than mediocre performance in the others. Especially with stuff as different as these. Buying 3 different containers of powder costs exactly the same and lasts exactly the same number of loadings as 3 containers of the same powder in the long run. And will result in great performance from all 3 instead of great performance in one and mediocre performance in the other 2.

jonathon1289

Since you cannot find Varget...
Benchmark
IMR 4064

I don't load for 22-250 but these two powders work well in multiple other calibers I load for.