219 ziper

.357 mag

My buddy has a rifle from back aways in got from his grandfather. Its a 219 ziper( if I spelled that right). I need all info on this. I know you can't get the brass anymore. But I heard its a 30-30 case necked down to a .22 caliber.

Anything on this would be great.

thanks

.357 mag

.357 mag

Thanks for the info. What dies do you need besides the 219? Does any one reload for this? What loads do you have for it? powder? primers? Bullets?

thanks again,

.357 mag

The 25-35 is closer dimensionally except for the rim, which is 0.020" wider. Double-check your chamber with a caliper to be sure it will accommodate the 0.526" rim? The Zipper and 30-30 are 0.506" nominally. Whichever case you use, it will need to be sized down and trimmed to the shorter Zipper length.

A number of makers sell forming dies or can make you a set. RCBS has them in two sets. One for starting with the 30-30 and one for starting with the 25-35. They want $250 for either set. In an unusual order of things, Redding has a set for a little less, but available only for forming from the 30-30. Three dies are needed and they run $75 for #1, $75 for #2, and $62.40 for #3, for a total of $212.40. Redding has the edge on fit and finish quality, IMHO, so that's the way I would go in your shoes, despite the extra work of forming the 30-30 case. But you should check your chamber rim recess and the availability of the two kinds of brass and decide for yourself.

ballardw

There are several people making the cases. Unless you want to experiment with reforming them yourself I would suggest buying them. At the price of the forming dies you can get about 300 cases. Try Buffalo Arms at www.buffaloarms.com.

You might want to make sure it wasn't an "Improved version". That would mean a different shoulder angle and possibly even more expensive dies.

Every so often some head-stamped and even factory ammo for the .219 Zipper shows up on Gunbroker.

Should use .224 bullets. Don't bother trying the heavier ones as these were designed for light weight 45-55 grain bullets and the barrel probably hasn't a fast enough twist to stabilize anything much longer than those. Max loads get the 55 grain bullets into the 3500 fps range.

And my .219 Wasp falls in the same boat.

.357 mag

Thanks for the info. It looks like he has the 219 dies but not the other dies to neck to down. All this info will pasted on. You all have been a great help.

>357 mag

Jim Watson

Is it a lever action Winchester or Marlin?
If so, get it real Zipper (or Bee) bullets which are blunt for safety in tube magazines. Looks like the 45 grain Hornady Bee bullet and a 46 grain Winchester hollowpoint are about it, maybe the 45 grain Remington HP.

If it is a bolt action or single shot, it will handle any usual .224" bullet, probably happiest with a 50 or 55 grain.

.357 mag

His grandfather built this gun. He said it was built on an old mouser action? I don't know much about the gun, just what he told me.