20MM cartridge...Hmmmm, is this really a tracer???

Big Caliber

I friend asked me if I wanted this, a 20 mm round. I wasn't sure if I did or not as I did not serve in the military. It has a brass case, and a blue projectile with a silver toned point. The projectile can spin while on the case but does not seem to want to unscrew. The markings on it are as follows: 20MM TP-T, M220, LC-88C225-04, ?006-077 M2218. The "-04" is a guess as it is very faded, as is the digit where I put the question mark. I Googled it up and found that it is supposed to be a tracer round with an "electric" primer, (whatever that means),:eek: used in target practice, perhaps on a Cobra whirlybird. Any comments???

Jo6pak

Sorry to nitpick, but..

"dummy round" may not be the best term, as it implies the cartridge will not fire. If there is powder in the case, it WILL fire.

"Inert projectile" would be a better description. Meaning the bullet is not explosive, incendiary, or armor piercing. It's basically a practice round made of solid material.

44 AMP

Staff
Blue projectiles or warheads (on rockets) in US use generally indicate inert (non-explosive) "practice" ammo.

With aircraft missiles, "war shots" are white tipped.

Modern 20mm ammo is fired electrically. There is a primer, but it is not physically struck by a firing pin.

Older 20mm ammo may be either type, depending on which gun is was made for, and the oldest stuff (WWII era) is mechanically fired.

Electrically fired rounds did exist during WWII (the 88mm Tiger tank round was one, while the 88mm AA round used a conventional percussion primer -while the same caliber, they were not interchangeable), but as far as I know, electric priming was not used on rounds as small as 20mm until well after WWII.

TP-T means Target Practice - Tracer.

The M220 is the model. It should have a band of Orange "T"s around the projectile.

Is the silver tip paint? Or is it a different piece of the projectile?

How about some pictures?

Old 454

20 MM pratice rounds for training are intirley blue, including the case. I have one.

I would be suspect if the 20 MM in question has a brass case.

HiBC

I do not know exactly how the law works,you may not have a problem...

But before I possessed any ammo bigger than 50 BMG I'd be sure to find out if it was classified as a "destructive device".

Sounds silly,but its the sort of thing can make life complicated.

"20 MM pratice rounds for training are intirley blue, including the case. I have one."

I have never seen a totally blue 20mm training round.

I've seen many that have standard blue projectiles -- I have two such rounds.

Please post some pix of your round, I'd be interested in seeing it.

"I would be suspect if the 20 MM in question has a brass case."

Brass cased and steel cased intert training rounds are common.

Jo6pak

Does it look like the this one?
(on the right)

Picture069.jpg