kraigwy

Yeap but that dosnt mean they will work in your rifle. When I first got my Ruger #1 in 204 the only data I could find was the Sierra (on their web site, wasnt out in their manual). That load sucked in my rifle until I switched primers. With all else being the same, except the primer, I had less pressure and more velocity then Sierra's "most accurate load" listing.

I'd sugest not trying for speed, but go for accuracy. A PD dont care if the bullet is going 3800 fps or 4000 fps.

Don't know what reloading manual you are using, but I'd recommend taking the 'MOST ACCURATE LOAD" listed in your manuel, and adjust from there until you find something that works for you.

Wayne_E

The Nosler lists the most accurate powder for each bullet weight and the most accurate load for each powder.

farmall

Just on the phone to Hornady yesterday on another matter, and detoured into 204 territory. Their tech said the search for accuracy in the 204 should begin with H4895 sparked with Rem 71/2 primers. I have had great luck with Ramshot Tac over W-W SR primer, but with 40gn bullets. Varget gave outstanding groups, but was very (3400fps) slow. YMMV
Andy

kraigwy

what manuals list "most accurate load"? neither my hornady #7, or lyman #49 do.

Lyman #49 DOES.

Pg. 123, Lower left hand side of the page, N130 23.7 3871 FPS, @ 53,900 psi.

Look at the bold print for each loading section.

HOWEVER, thats the most accurate load in their testing equipment. It dosnt mean its the most accurate load in your gun. That you have to work out for your self.

I have never been able to duplicat any loadings in any reloading manuel as far as velocity using their exact loadings.

This is one of the main reasons I dont like factory ammo. They have to fit all guns. But not all guns are the same. If all guns are the same, then how can all ammo be the same?

Reloading Manuals are GUIDES, not law.

Brian Pfleuger

Moderator Emeritus
Kraig,

Are you able to duplicate the factory velocities? It was once claimed by Hornady and Ruger that it could not be done due to their use of a proprietary powder mix.

kraigwy

Kraig,

Are you able to duplicate the factory velocities? It was once claimed by Hornady and Ruger that it could not be done due to their use of a proprietary powder mix.

In my Ruger #1, 204, using 32 grn bullets and BENCHMARK, in my cronie, my loads measure 4320 fps. No signs of presure.

Brian Pfleuger

Moderator Emeritus
In my Ruger #1, 204, using 32 grn bullets and BENCHMARK, in my cronie, my loads measure 4320 fps. No signs of presure.

No kidding. That's impressive. Oh what that would do to a woodchuck!

What do you get for the 40gr? I typically use 40s because the long range ballistics is slightly better. I'd love to see them push 4000+

kraigwy

Oh what that would do to a woodchuck

VAPER

No sir, I havent tried any 40 grn bullets at all. They were limited when I first got my 204, at the time all I could find was 32s. They worked so I didnt see any reason to change.

The 32s do raise hell with PDs, and work great on coyotes who have their eye on my chickens.