.204 velocity out of a 22" barrel

gonziii

Hello,

How much volicty do you lose on .204 using a 22" barrel compared to a 24" or 26"? I almost picked up a Handi Rifle in .204 tonight, but then noticed the barrel was only 22" and didn't know what kind of impact this would have on velocity.

Any help you can give me will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

WhiteFeather93

I may be incorrect so don't take what I say to the bank. But the more barrel you have the more friction against the bullet and I believe you loose some speed. However I do know for a fact a lot is going to depend on the ammo. If you are looking for a screamer you have to sacrifice grains. Good luck in any case.

gonziii

Well I bought it today and almost have it sighted in, took me forever to get on paper at 100 yards. Couldn't get on 50 yard bench either.

Anway, will dial it in tomorrow morning and see how she groups!

gonziii

Well so far I like it! I only fired three groups. One put 4 within an inch with one flyer that opened it up to about 2". Another put 3 in an inch. I then shot a five shot group with Remington 40 grain bullets and that one just sucked. It strung the shot vertically about 4 inches. The shots worked there way down to where I was hitting with the Hornady 32 grains, the fifth shot actually hit what I was aiming for. I then shot to more 32 grains to see if it was the ammo or the gun and they both hit the 1" sticker I was aiming at with the Remington ammo, so I will say it was the ammo.

People at the range said that a lot of people are having accuracy issues with the 40s. Is this true?

kirbymagnum

I'm using the 40 grain Hornady in my Remington vssf II and have out standing accuracy. I never tried the 32 grain bullets some poeple say they create more carnage and blow up faster next time I buy some more ammo I will buy a box of 32 grain bullets to try on some crows.

270Win

Can't speak for .204, but I found the Remington ammo for .223 to be terrible, just terrible. Easily the worst I've encountered. Best off-the-shelf stuff is the Winchester white box. Quite accurate, for me.

farmall

Was on the horn to Western Powder Friday. The ballistician there told me that the velocity loss from a 24" to a 20" would only be around 50-75 FPS. My chronograph is acting wacky, so I couldn't disprove him. Don't really care what velocity is, the load I worked up shoots like crazy!

Jesse D310

Ive been told by my buddy down at the gun store that the speed may drop in velocity by the difference in the length of the barrel the shorter the barrel the less fps (minor decrease). Also he told me that accuracy doesnt change after 6 inches of the barrel. So 6 inches is all you need to stabalize the bullet to give you an accurate shot.