2017 - Boring Year For Guns?

Skans

Is it just me, or is anyone else finding this to be a boring year for guns. There's barely anything new out that makes me go "Oh, I've gotta have that".

About the most interesting thing I've seen for 2017 is the Kimber K6 - not bad, but still just another .357 Revolver. No Bobergs, no Rohrbaughs, no Kel-Tec monstrosities. I guess there is that new Israeli AR-AK. Anything else I'm missing for 2017?

lamarw

Gun sales are down significantly after the National Election. Reports from major US gun manufacturers sales and the reduction in numbers of back ground checks are reported in the vicinity of 25% give or take a few percentile.

I have bought one new rifle and one used revolver so far. The new rifle was a Henry lever action carbine in .45 Colt.

I guess it depends upon what one is looking to acquire. Based upon your post, I suspect you are referring to new firearms. Colt has come out with the new Cobra. Savage has a couple of new AR's out. Henry has an interesting line-up of rifles that are recently new to the market even it is not considered 2017. The same goes for Sig Sauer and its Legion line-up.

We could actually end up seeing a reduction in firearms and accessories over the next year or so. It seems there are a lot of ammunition sales. We can hope for better availability along with more "sales" on ammunition. Who knows, maybe .22 rimfire will go down in price. I would like to see a greater availability of reloading powders. Two in particular are Unique and Red Dot.

This will be an interesting thread to follow.

TJB101

I did add to my collection today.... I couldn't resist any longer and finally got a Henry 357 LA. Just had to. Plus bored with trade in I had.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

lamarw

Yes TJB101, I was torn between the .357 Magnum/.38 Special and the .45 Colt. Maybe the .357 for the next one in my accumulation.

NINEX19

Is it just me, or is anyone else finding this to be a boring year for guns. There's barely anything new out that makes me go "Oh, I've gotta have that".

Yup. I have thought the same thing recently. It is a good thing that there is a huge selection from years past that I still don't have. :D

The only "new" for 2017 gun that I am remotely interested in is also a Henry.
I am wanting to handle a .327 Federal Magnum lever action coming out this month. I really like the cartridge, but am not a huge Henry fan because of their weight and no loading gate. However, when you are the only option available, I might just have to suck it up.

Sevens

If we had a concise list of exactly what and exactly when, I could pick out a firearm here or there that I actually like and am interested in. But without that list in front of me, I can safely say that if it debuted after 2003 or so, just about ANY firearms enthusiast is going to be more excited about it than me.

Smith & Wesson's true Performance Center semi-auto pistols basically ended on/about that time, and the revolvers had already moved to ILS-equipped guns.

These are definitely what I care most about, and "new" guns since then are mostly lost on me.

MarkCO

There are a ton of new PCCs, a few new carry guns and a flurry of entry level precision bolt guns. There are only a few truly new and innovative guns, true.

State of the Industry is general panic as the best gun salesman in US history was not replaced by the best gun saleswoman in US history.

Sevens

Tried and true designs. Let early adopters work out the bugs.
Haha ^ nope.

The design may be a century old but if what you bought was new production... the 2017 beta tester is the purchaser. You get full "hands on" quality control because -YOU- get to do it.

So maybe modern manufacturing is as fantastic as it's ever been (I do believe this!) but QC and skilled craftsmen actually building guns is going the way of the dodo.

UncleEd

If truly boring, really boring, beyond boring to terminally ill, perhaps even dead, then the gun magazine covers will be hysterical with exclamation points hailing, touting, praising, lauding and expressing total awe at this year's offerings.

peggysue

NAA never came out with Ranger 2
No Heizer PKO.45 semi auto
AR's are inexpensive NOW
A few binary triggers hit the market.

Last edited:

kozak6

HK is (hopefully) releasing the rest of the VP9 family. Longslide, subcompact, optics ready, and a couple others.

And the new Colt Cobra. Colt's return to double action revolvers is pretty exciting.

g.willikers

There's plenty of innovation in other industries, but firearms seem to have stagnated.
There's not been anything much since the striker fired pistol came on the scene.
Most everything else is getting downright ancient in design.
I'm holding off buying until someone brings a Star Trek type phaser to market.

Skans

It's interesting to see all of the interest in Henry Rifles. I too have found my self oogling some of the Henry lever actions and I typically don't gravitate to lever action rifles.

osbornk

I don't mind boring as I have made the purchase of my first AR15 this week. I'm not after new as much as I'm after better. A new color or gadget on a gun doesn't do anything for me.

MarkCO

It's interesting to see all of the interest in Henry Rifles. I too have found my self oogling some of the Henry lever actions and I typically don't gravitate to lever action rifles.

I really like the Big Boy Steel Carbine in .41Mag.

Radny97

Let's see:
- Colt Cobra
- Gp100 in 44 special
- Redhawk 357 mag 8 shot
- Henry lever gun in 327 federal
- CZ shadow 2
- CZ p10c
- LCRx in 357 mag
- Lots of new variations on the Kimber K6s
- Bond arms bought Boberg and is ramping up production of their design (very cool)
- About 100 new variations of other poly-pistols (now I'm exaggerating, but seriously)
- About 100 new 1911 configurations fram various makers (again exaggerating but less so)
- About 10,000 new AR-15 and other semi-automatic rifle configurations/bells/whistles/gizmos/whizbangs that you can have for your go-to-war gun (not exaggerating at all now--not even a little bit).

I'm sure there's other cool stuff I missed. Seems like a pretty good year to me.

MarkCO

Radny97, WADR, most of your list is possible because there is nothing really new for most manufacturers. Inexpensive to bring out a new chambering, do a facelift, but the platforms are still unchanged in almost everything on your list.

The gun-industry is driven by innovation, and when you don't have a new product, you make it look like you do with a little change here and there. Putting out a few niche calibers to make those small groups get excited, a facelift, a slick marketing campaign, maybe even some technology transfer...to stay relevant. A point largely missed by Glock in the 21st Century.

osbornk

The only thing I have noticed as being new and makes me want one is the Taurus Spectrum. It is apparently the replacement for the Taurus TCP like I have (and I like it). It looks like it will be a good addition to the sub-compact market. Taurus is under new management as well as new ownership.