2016 Recommended .45acp Ammo

BarryLee

I’m curious what you folks recommend for .45acp self defense ammo. While I’m interested in specific brands I’m also interested in things like bullet weight, +P yea or nay, overall cartridge design, etc. Also, I have a few .45s, but for the sake of this post I’m primarily concerned with a modern Colt 1911. Let me also say that I realize any ammo will need to be tested in my specific gun, but just looking for a starting point.

Nick_C_S

My go-to is Hornady's 230gn +P XTP. It chronographs at an impressive 956 f/s through my full-size Springfield 1911. I took 100 rounds of it (over $200's worth) to the range and they all cycled flawlessly. It's my home protection choice.

Jim Watson

Nick's load kicks me too much.
I like the 200 gr XTP 900 fps #9112 for steel frame guns.
I actually load that bullet down to 800 fps for my Commander.

T. O'Heir

"...to be tested in my specific gun..." You not reloading? You need to try a box of as many brands as you can to find the ammo your pistol shoots best. The price of it means nothing. Pop into your local gun shop and start with whatever is on sale.
Suggest you stick with a 230 RN though. They tend to give the least amount of cycling grief. A cast 230 will do as well as any jacketed bullet.
Oh and cast bullets instantly go flat when they hit hard stuff like bones. Or they might break up and cause more damage than any jacketed bullet. They do not require a lot of velocity to do it either. An HP, any HP, requires velocity to expand reliably. More velocity equals more felt recoil. Not that a .45 has a lot of that though.
+P is about pressures. Really makes no difference one way or the other. Accuracy is what's important.

Uncle Malice

I always opt for Federal HST 230gr +P.

Hornady's 230gn +P XTP. It chronographs at an impressive 956 f/s through my full-size Springfield 1911. I took 100 rounds of it (over $200's worth)

:confused::confused::confused: Is this due to some doubling of price being in CA or something?? XTP should be under $1/rd...

P71pilot

Federal HST is some of the best performing JHPa at any weight. Remington golden sabers work well as do hornady xtps and critical duty.

First decide on what weight you want, and for what purposes. Decided I'd you would rather have shallow or deeper penetration.

FairWarning

I tend to you standard pressure HST 230 or Ranger 230 in my 1911, but always the +P versions in my HK USP full size since it is very soft shooting.

I sometimes use Gold Dot 200 +P, but never below 200 gr.

Nick_C_S

Is this due to some doubling of price being in CA or something?

I purchased them from Midway. http://www.midwayusa.com/product/15...230-grain-xtp-jacketed-hollow-point-box-of-20

I got my wires crossed - I was thinking 10 boxes made 100 rounds :p

Sorry. And good catch.

Side note: I load my own ammo. But all CCW and safety/defense training classes I've been through strongly recommend factory ammo for SD. Mostly due to legal reasons, civil litigation, etc.

Nick's load kicks me too much.

They are potent. But I've decided they are manageable enough (for me) for home defense.

g.willikers

Handgun rounds are reportedly notoriously ineffective, so too much thought about the ammo is probably unproductive.
Time might be better spent on effective technique.
That being said, the Corbon line of self defense ammunition seems to always get good reviews.

mete

The shorter barrel pistols will be more reliable [under 4" ] with lighter bullets like 200 or 185 gr. There are specific reasons for this [that I don't remember :rolleyes:]

SansSouci

I've used many. I've never felt the least bit vulnerable with W-W white box 230 grain ball ammo. After all, the .45 ACP's reputation was created with 230 grain ball ammo.

BTW, I never choose ammo upon expansion premise. I prefer though-and-through wounds. Were a projectile to expand along its way, I'd get a bonus.

JimPage

I haven't done a lot of testing of different ammo. For years I carried 45ACP ball and felt comfortable. I finally succumbed to the popular chorus and purchased some hollow point ammo in 230 gr. I alternated rounds in the mag, -- every other round is ball. Hollow point is first.

michael t

Browning wanted a 200 gr and Gov wanted the 230 . I use 200gr +P in mine .

Corbon JHP 200gr +P 5" barrel

Ballistics Information
•Muzzle Velocity: 1050 fps

•Muzzle Energy: 490 ft. lbs.

CDW4ME

Any of these would probably suffice, in ascending KE.
Glock 21
Federal Hydra-Shok 230 gr. @ 846 fps / 367# KE
Federal HST 230 gr. @ 863 fps / 380# KE
Winchester Ranger T 230 gr. @ 931 fps / 443# KE
Federal Hydra-Shok 185 +P @ 1,060 fps / 462# KE
Remington Golden Saber 185 +P @ 1,069 fps / 470# KE