2008 weapons ban draft‏

stiffnecked

The list is fairly short. You really have to pay attention to how they have these things worded. Appendix A is the listing of acceptable, non-banned weapons.

The ones they are proposing to ban are listed below:

‘(A) any of the firearms, or copies or duplicates of the firearms in any caliber, known as--
‘(i) Norinco, Mitchell, and Poly Technologies Avtomat Kalashnikovs (all models);
‘(ii) Action Arms Israeli Military Industries UZI and Galil;
‘(iii) Beretta Ar70 (SC-70);
‘(iv) Colt AR-15;
‘(v) Fabrique National FN/FAL, FN/LAR, and FNC;
‘(vi) SWD M-10, M-11, M-11/9, and M-12;
‘(vii) Steyr AUG;
‘(viii) INTRATEC TEC-9, TEC-DC9 and TEC-22; and
‘(ix) revolving cylinder shotguns, such as (or similar to) the Street Sweeper and Striker 12;

johnnypi45

Hahahaha....as hard as it is to find anything funny about this bill, i would certainly say their "list" of firearms at the end is goofy. It is obvious they could not NEARLY list all of the firearms manufactured in the US, and even if they could, it would make this bill at least twice as thick. I may be the only one who finds humor in this, but it really boggles the mind.

Petey

notice retired law enforcement gets whatever their old department will let them have and present law enforcement is totally excluded from the ban. At least that is how I read it. May have been the case before, but I didn't notice last time through.

In the tube magazine exception it is limited to .22 rimfires, what about smaller caliber rimfires?

Also why are they specifying bolt, lever, and break action rifles that are excepted? Don't they have to be semi-auto to be banned? What am I missing? There has to be an angle on restricting those actions also.

I would also love to know what Browning did to get their rifles exempted. I doubt they just said, well $3,000 rifles aren't used in crime so we won't ban the browning rifles.

Last edited:
That bill is a retread using much of the same language as the 1994 AWB but reducing mag capacity to 5 rounds. Guess they don't like revolvers either. That particular bill was also introduced before the election and at least two of its sponsors got unelected. While an AWB of some kind is definitely going to be introduced, this particular one is going nowhere.

I believe there are some slight wording changes from the previous bill that have large effects. I would be very surprised if this bill, or one extremely close to it is not passed by next June. One thing to consider is the limitations in this bill pretty much make all the capital goods investment of the firearms companies worthless. They will have to retool a ton just accommodate the changes.