20 round flush fit Beretta 92 mag?

bushidomosquito

I saw one in a gun rag at wally world but was dragged away by an impatient girlfriend before I could read much about it. Said 20 rounds of 9mm in a 15 round mag size. Now, I'm sittin' here looking at 5 rounds double stacked by my keyboard and I don't know how they did it but combine that with a slide that I can get tritiums in and Houges new aluminum grips and it's enough to make me take the G23 down from the pet handgun shrine and fall in love with the 92 all over again. If they can squeeze 16 into a 96 I'm sold. I want to say Martinez or some similar name but I'm not sure. Has anyone heard of these mags or did I just dream this.

Hommbs

It must have a special shaped follower and baseplate to fit 20 into the 15 sized magazine. I haven't seen or heard of that one....wonder if its reliability is the same as the original??

Dabull

Your certain it wasn't a little longer than normal? The pic wasn't taken from an unusual angle? I'm not sure its possible to get more than 18 in a normal sized magazine unless it has no spring system and is designed to gravity feed a pistol fired while oriented upside down.

The old Ramline "constant force" springs could take 18. I've seen flush fit MecGars that hold 17. I've seen MecGars that hold 20, but they are more than an inch longer.

bushidomosquito

Nope, same size mag, that what it said. The top part that tapers to the feedlips was fatter, in that it didn't taper as quickly but the base pad looked only slightly larger. They were stainless and looked to be of high quality. They also mentioned versions for the XD and one other pistol that I can't remember. Apparently I took in lots of info from that ad, except who made them.

Slopemeno

It's gotta protrude somewhat. In my experience with the 21 shot .38 supers in Para Ord frames you usually have a mag base that the spring goes into.

BigDaddyP

I don't know how they would do it without it protruding at least a little.
I used to have a 92 with the 15 rd mags and I don't see how you could stuff anything else into that space. I guess you never know though...wonders never cease!
P

IZinterrogator

I just took a Beretta 92 15-round magazine and with some work, I was able to cram 19 rounds into it. :eek:

Of course, that work consisted of removing the follower and spring. :p

Superhouse 15

Ram Line

Could it have been a Ram Line magazine? They made extra capacity magazines that were flush fitting by using a rotary spring (think tape measure) rather than a standard coil spring. I still have a bunch of 12 round magazines for the Ruger MKII, same size as the 10 round factory mags. The S&W mags I have are 3 or 4 rounds over stock capacity.

Dabull

The Ramlines held 18 for the Taurus, probably the same for the Beretta since only their mag release cutouts differ. I have a Ramline for my Taurus PT99, but when the "tape" spring unrolls to cover the cutout for the mag release, it essentially ejects the mag out of the gun. Kind of annoying. This forces me to place my support hand closer to the bottom of the grip when firing, or just leave the mag at home (which is what I normally do). Since the cutouts for the Beretta are thinner, the Beretta is probably spared this defect.

bushidomosquito

No joke...

I went back to the store today by myself and took another look at that magazine. I'm not crazy after all. They're made by Mitchells of Mitchells Mausers. I don't see anything about them on their website but they are new products so maybe they just haven't added them to the site yet. The gunrag did say 20 rounds. They are no longer than a 15 rounder and have what looks like very slightly thicker basepads. It also said they have models for Sigs and XDs.