20 inch 12g coachgun uses & limitations

phil mcwilliam

I've just bought some rural land and think I'll need a shotgun for snakes, since on both visits inspecting the property I've come across snakes.
Most of my hunting is done with rifles, & one of the main reasons I purchased this property is for hunting & fishing. I was considering a side x side 12g coachgun style of shotgun like the Stoeger 20 inch double barrel which I know will work for snakes.
I also know the 20 inch barrels limit the usefulness of this type of coachgun for other purposes. I have always liked the look of the coachgun, but am I being sucked in for the look of something thats not really practical?
I will mainly be hunting with a rifle on my new property, but there are numerous pigs, foxes, rabbits which a shotgun could be used on. Should I forget the coachgun, or can it be used in a pinch?

Willie Lowman

Not practical? What do you think you need for snake destruction?

If you are concerned about larger critters keep a 00 buck shell and a 7 1/2 loaded in the gun, carry a few of each with it.

jaguarxk120

I think the Coach Gun comes with screw in choke tubes, that alone give you anything you want in a shot gun. Snakes open bore any other game mod/full choke. You may want to add a sling for easier carry.

oneounceload

First, unless a poisonous snake threatens you or family, you might want to leave them alone. If you have a healthy population of them, there must be a good vermin food supply.

To your question, the coach gun will work nicely for two-legged, four-legged, and yes, no-legged critters. since they typically have very open chokes, it will be best utilized for relatively short distances - for example, about 25 yards. Slugs might work better further, that will take some ammo to determine

Have fun hunting on your new land

phil mcwilliam

Thanks for the replies. I guess my apprehension regarding coachgun type shotguns effectiveness come from mates of mine that mainly shoot clay target & ducks. While I won't be trying for clays & ducks, it seems that most of you think a coachgun is suitable for larger game such as pigs if the distances are kept to under 25 yards.
And don't worry, I don't kill every snake I see. I don't mind the odd python keeping rats and mice under control in shearing & hay sheds, but the 3,500 acres I have purchased 3 hours west of Sydney ,Australia (where I live), has an abundance of King Browns which are known to be cranky when disturbed.

Rifleman1776

A shotgun would be akward to carry around all day.
When I had my ranch I carried a Ruger Redhawk .44 magnum. The first two chambers were loaded with shot capsules I loaded myself. I used # 7 1/2 shot for snakes. Very effective and my hands were kept free while working.
BTW, the shot capsules make a dognut shaped pattern. I never aimed for the head but the center of the body. That was I usually hit them in the head and the lower body.
And, if you were not keeping count, I had four more rounds available for two and four legged dangerous critters.

Dave McC

Staff In Memoriam
1776, the op is from Australia, where people cannot have Handguns, semi auto anything, etc.

Phil, I happen to like coach guns and Luparas. Luparas are a bit longer in the barrels and handle better.

In fact, a standard SxS with 26"-28" barrels is hardly ungainly. Try all if you can and see what works for you.

SHR970

Stoger Coach guns have fixed chokes (IC / Mod.) One thing you will want to correct is the butt plate. If the current breed are like mine, you'll have a plastic butt plate that makes recoil a real pain with 1 1/4 oz. loads let alone magnum in either shell size. Either replace or add a slip on to make it less shoulder hostile.

The triggers are nothing to write home about; mine took a while to get the grittiness out but they still need some more lightening. I have mine for about a decade and a half but never got around to beating the pins out to give it a proper trigger job.

L_Killkenny

Shorter barrel length doesn't limit the effectiveness of a shotgun. The choke determines the spread and a 12ga reaches it's maximum velocity even in short barrels.

Shotguns traditionally come with long barrels for bird hunting. It aids in the "swing" but nothing says that a person can't learn to use a short barreled gun almost as well.

Coach guns are great small game, vermin and defence guns.

LK

bamaranger

coach gun

I've got a Russian coach gun, a Baikal.

What I've noticed on mine:

-it kicks, so I stay with reduced recoil buckshot and low brass game loads
-it is not well regulated, one barrel is way off, the other is acceptable, but
still not good. In its present condition, it would be a lousy game gun.
-it is portable, a 20" double is short and handy, carries and stores easy
-its got choke tubes and some versatility that way, the off barrel gets the IC tube, the barrel closer to on gets a mod or even a full.
-it seems pretty durable, been shot plenty, still tight

If it shot to point of aim, it could be a useful utility gun, everything from slugs to fine shot, and inside 50 yds could take on all sorts of game. IF it shot where it looked. You get what you pay for and and I did not pay much for this one.

Its current role is PDW. It stays loaded in the corner, full of buckshot.

Shotgun693

I have a Baikal 12 ga. I keep Dove loads in the left barrel and buckshot in the right. I've never used it in any kinda 'dangerous' situation. I've used it for Squirrels and early season Doves. Later in the season I need a little more reach to miss a Dove, early in the season I miss'm much closer.

onewing

Interestingly I'm 3hr west of Sydney and own one of the couch guns you mention. Chuck me a pm, maybe I can let you try one. But for those reading, I'm not fond of it, she don't shoot straight. Here's it shooting BB's, SG's and slugs http://youtube.com/watch?v=wnWR5ETxpHc

Last edited:

phil mcwilliam

Thanks for the video link, Onewing. The shot patterns you were getting at 50 yards were better than I thought for a coachgun, but the point of aim, with the barrels being that unregulated is of concern & confirms what my duck hunting & clay target mates think of coachguns. pm sent