20" Barrel Efficiency

jackstrawIII

Hey, looking for some feedback on which 6.5 cartridge would do best from a 20" barrel. Specifically, the 6.5 Creedmoor or the 6.5x55 Swede.

I know the Swede has a higher max velocity potential (due to larger case), but for a lightweight gun with a 20" barrel would there really be any discernible advantage to the Swede's extra powder vs the Creed?

Thanks.

Jimro

No, no real discernible advantage going with the Swede for a lightweight 6.5 bore rifle. At least not from a ballistic standpoint in my opinion.

The 6.5 CM is a better choice for a lightweight build, true short action length cartridge and designed around the 120 to 140gr bullet weights and lengths make it a fine choice.

A harder choice would be between 6.5x47 Lapua and 6.5 CM, but I think the CM has already caught on better than the Lapua.

Jimro

Doyle

The .260 Rem does exceptionally well in a shorter barrel. You might want to consider that one also.

I went with Creedmoor in a 20" barrel. Specifically the Tikka T3x CTR model. As soon as it delivers and I pick it up, I'll be sure to do a review.