20-60x60 spotting scope for 200 yards

phil mcwilliam

I am looking at purchasing a Redfield 20-60x60mm Spotting scope. The main purpose for this spotting scope will be for sighting in rifles at 200 yards.
Is the Redfield suitable for seeing bullet holes from .17 to .30 caliber at 200 yards.
It seems I spend more time walking back and forth when sighting in at 200 yards, than actually shooting. Hopefully the Redfield Rampage 20-60x60mm Spotting Scope will overcome this.
Anyone had experience with the Redfield AT 200 yards?

geetarman

I do not have a Redfield, but I do have a Nikon 20-48x60 spotting scope.

I can see 30 caliber holes ok but 22 is quite a bit more difficult and I am guessing that you will not be able to see 17 caliber.

A lot will depend on where the sun is. I shoot mostly in the morning and shoot west with the sun behind me.

Good luck!!

Geetarman:D

emcon5

A lot depends on where the sun is, as well as the target. For 200 yards I try and use an orange target spot on a white sheet of paper. Even with a crappy spotting scope, you can generally see the holes.

Slamfire

I don’t see many Redfield Spotting scopes on the firing line, what I see around here are Kowa, and for the thrifty, the Konus. These are typically the 80 mm sizes. Our Female F Class National Champ is using a Konus, works well enough for her small bore and long range, so I guess that is a recommendation.

Jim Owens provides good service, go look at his site for comments on the Konus.

http://www.jarheadtop.com/KONUS.htm

I recently bought a Celestron Ultima 65mm 18-55 variable power. I was surprised how good the optics were for a $100 scope. I got this off epay, and the cost to my door was about $100.00 I took this scope out and compared the view with my Pentax, which is a $1000 scope. At the lowest setting the Celestron was bright and clear all the way to the edges, with a slight rainbow at the edge. I do not recall if I saw bullet holes with either, I clearly saw pasters at 200 yards. When the targets were shaded, in the morning, the zoomed image was dark compared to the much larger pentax. Later in the day when the targets were illuminated, the zoom image was quite clear at 600 yards, though the Pentax was a bit better. I believe if you want a zoom scope that you want the largest lenses.

The mount on the Ultima does not allow rotation about the axis, I would look for a scope that has this feature. I believe a 45 offset is the most usable lens configuration.

What you will see through a scope will vary with the range. I shoot at one range which there is so much mirage you cannot see 30 caliber bullet holes at 200 yards. At Camp Perry I would occasionally see 30 caliber holes at 300, that place is very clear.

DSCF2684Celestron18-55x65mmUltima65.jpg

Marquezj16

Yes, you can, as long as your target has a good contrast.

I use dirty bird and at 200 yards with 20x magnification I can see my .223 dots.