boa2

Pictures of my 2-inch S&W(Transitional M&P:
b6f12969.jpg

b7e7096e.jpg
7977e33d.jpg

2222bdf3.jpg

4c4b6e44.jpg

boa2

No, the hammer isn't gold plated! It's just the quality of workmanship, that S&W did back in the early days, when they had put a sincere effort into building these great(Older)revolvers!:eek: Thanks, for your compliment!

BlueTrain

The hammer is case hardened, which is what gives it the color. So is the trigger, which appears to be grooved. Hammers and triggers have been changed a lot over the years, depending on what was in fashion at the time.

What is meant by "transitional?" They have always been in transition.

It is true that S&W and others made better finished products back then because the labor rate was lower. One of the things they apparently did was finished off the grip frame with the grip in place, which is how the perfect fit was produced and why the grips you found at the gun show don't fit so perfectly. The grips may be marked with the serial number of the gun.

The gun also has that slightly matte finish that I like so well, though other finishes were produced as well. They all show scratches about equally well.

XavierBreath

What is meant by "transitional?"
Transitional M&Ps are generally accepted to have been from a time between the pre-war/Victory M&P and the Model 10 which appeared in 1957. Transitional M&Ps have a mixture of features that may be found on either side of the spectrum. They are often coveted because they combine the nicer traditional features and workmanship of the pre-war M&P with more modern features of the Model 10.

BTW boa, when you get ready to liquidate that old gun, let me know.........;)

boa2

XavierBreath:

1)Yes, if I ever decide to part with this beautiful 2-inch M&P, I'll contact you!

2)Thanks for your input here!

Cossack

That, sir, is a lovely weapon. And some people wonder how we think weapons can be beautiful . . . :rolleyes:
Thanks for sharing!

liliysdad

Very nice.

I recently bought one of the recent Century Arms re-import Model 10-7s. Very slick gun, but has the ugly "C.A.I" stamp on it.

I also recently won a 2" pencil barrel, new in wrapper on ebay.

I assume you can guess what comes next. The barrel should be here this week, and will have a SLICK little carry gun.

Hotdog1911

Ah yes, S&W's of yesteryear.

That is an example of how I remember Smith & Wessons.
Can any of this modern day ' new-this and new that BS' come close to this 38 snub? No.
Had a 4" K frame come in the shop a while back. Orginally it was fininished much like the snub pictured but with a few more scrathes. It was a square butt with slim factory stocks, a patrige front sight without all the red and white outline stuff. A customer said the serial number indicated it was made late 50's early 60's. It had been spared all the custom spring and action jobs of the last 40 year craze. And being the smartest guy in the revolver world I waited for the price to down. $400 was too much. Yea, says who? Gone. Someone obviosly not as smart of me snapped it up.

aminyard

The newest Smith revolver that I own was built in 1913, and the action still feels like glass. I love the old Smiths (I have 4 of them, and I am loooking for more):) Yours is a beautiflul weapon, congradulations on finding it.:D