2 completely unrelated questions!

Mylhouse

Greetings Gentlepeople!

1) I just bought 2 unissued Bulgarian Maks (one for me, one for the wife, both for CCW). She hasn't had the chance to fire it, but I hope the snappy recoil isn't too much for her carpal tunnel-plagued wrists. Now to the question: is it cool to dry fire Maks without snap caps (I couldn't find any in 9x18)?

2) I often times use carb cleaner to bust the grease and grit out of the hard to reach internals of my guns. I just bought some Birchwood Casey Moly Disulfide Dry Lube. Would it be kosher to use this stuff to relubricate after stripping down to the metal with the carb cleaner? Or do I need to use a "wet" lube like CLP or something?

Thanks for your help. It never ceases to amaze me just how many well-educated people we have here on TFL, yet as passionate gun owners, we are the ones looked upon with cocked eyebrows (as rednecks, extremists, paranoid freaks, psychos, etc)! :(

foxfire

Mylhouse,
FWIW
In my 'neck of the woods', we're considered "malcontents", tho I feel that I'm but a misunderstood, cynical realist... ;)

As for your questions:
1. I try not to 'dry-fire' my pistols.
2. Guess I'm from the 'old school' as I've always preferred "wet" over "dry".

Uh oh, almost 'slipped' another ;) in there.

;)

------------------
...defend the 2nd., it protects us all.
No fate but what we make...

WESHOOT2

Re #2;

Recommend BreakFree CLP.

Never had much luck with the dry lubes, seems they get 'gummed up' easily.

Have nothing but perfect luck with BreakFree, and this after trying most everything available.

I do like TetraGrease for frame rails and sears, S&W FrictionBlock for preventing rust on blued surfaces, ProLix for general wetting-down, and WD40 for washing off cleaned parts. (I should reverse the order of those last two)

Now I'm going to try Robar's NP3 coating, for 'no lube'!

------------------
"All my ammo is factory ammo"

johnnybravo

1. I dry fire my target pistols freely, but rarely my carry autos.
2. I use Hornady (or any brand) dry lube on my carry weapons. Don't like oil stains on my shirts, and there's never been a problem with function even with extended practice sessions.

------------------
johnnyb
A slow hit beats a fast miss.

Oris

I'm using dry moly disulfide more and more
for semi-autos and revolvers. The obvious
advantage is that it is not collecting dirt
as much as "wet" lubricants. But oil based
lubricants are much better for storage purposes. So, I guess if you intend to shoot
your pistols a lot, use of dry lubricant
makes sense.

BTW, Ruger MKII (.22) works absolutely great
with teflon based dry lubricant...

I do not believe relatively modest dry firing
will hurt Mak. And why it should? This pistol has been dry fired for 50 years by millions of people,
and we never heard of Mak being damaged by this training procedure...I dry fire my Mak
every week may be 30 or 40 times for 5 years,
and it is still very much alive.