2 calibers only

STEVE M

If you could have only 2 calibers only to hunt every thing from varmints to Africa's big 5, what 2 would you choose? To keep it easier; max. range for both: under 400 yards, both must be bolt action rifles( lets not get into the rifles), handloads are ok in both. Hunting only please.

Eric of IN

.22 LR
.375 H&H

The .22 for rabbits, squirrels, and other varmint sized critters. The .375 is versatile enough for anything else. Even the Big 5, if the shooter is up to the task.
Eric

------------------
Teach a kid to shoot.
It annoys the antis.

Grayfox

.22 LR
.308 Winchester

Reality is such that I'll probably never hunt out of state much less out of the country. :(

------------------
Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

Badger Arms

I'd have to go for the 22lr and 375 H&H myself. But how does one hunt birds with these calibers? I'd have to add 12ga to the list. Then, of course, one needs a 45 auto as a sidearm.

Mike Spears270

My two choices would be.....
.22Win mag
.300 Win mag
neither are my favorite. I actually prefer the .22lr over the 22WMR, but the .22WMR offers a substantial improvement over the .22lr at modest noise levels.
The .300 Win Mag is light enough for deer, and is good for game up to Elk size or better....Since I'll probably never leave North America to hunt, I dont think I would be undergunned with the .300mag.

------------------
Mike

Herodotus

Oh, Badgerarms!
You know that 45 Auto is not going to work when you have to jab it up under the chin of the lion that is on top of you.
Take a 44 Mag revolver and be sure its got full house loads.

Southla1

Member In Memoriam
22 LR and 30-06. The 30-06 though not legal for the big 5 will work just fine with 162 AP. Its penetration you want with the big 5. Look at Mr. Bell and the tons of elephants he got with a 7X57.

------------------
Carlyle Hebert

416Rigby

I would pick .375 H&H and 30-06.

Can you name any type of hunting/shooting that you would NOT be able to do with these two cartridges?

Southla1

Member In Memoriam
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by 416Rigby:
I would pick .375 H&H and 30-06.
Can you name any type of hunting/shooting that you would NOT be able to do with these two cartridges?
[/quote]

Just make sure you hit bunny or squirlley in the head or it will be rabbit or squirrel burger you are eating :D :D :D

------------------
Carlyle Hebert

416Rigby

Actually,

With 30-06 you can use "accelerator" .22 sabots....

With the .375.... You can use FMJs and have the bunny dead, skinned, dressed, roasted and decapitated all at one time! :D

MountainGun44

Please close this thread.

I refuse to participate in this sacreligious discussion. 2 rifles. Ridiculous.

Please stop this right now. My wife doesn't need these silly ideas floating around.

Thanks.

STEVE M

MountainGun, I only asked about 2 calibers, I never said how many guns. :) Besides, these are only for hunting, we can always have more for other uses!