2.5" 686 No Dash for $500?

ajgranda

Hi,

I may be able to get a 99% condition 686 no dash with Nill grips for $500.00 How's the price? What year would this gun have been manufactured? Any MIM parts? Thanks

Attachments

• 686.jpg
    686.jpg
    107 KB · Views: 122
Last edited:

Olympus

Sounds like a pretty good deal to me. I'd over $475 cash and see where it goes from there. $500 would still be a pretty good deal. The Ahrend's grips are worth $50 if they're in good condition.

LordTio3

3" 686 in 99% condition with no internal lock and some nice Ahrends grips? I'd pay $600-625 for it. At $500, you should run there before someone snatches it up.

Don't look back, it's a solid deal on a gun that you'll love forever.

~LT

carguychris

686 no dash... What year would this gun have been manufactured? Any MIM parts?
IIRC no-dash is 1980-1982 production, but I could be mistaken. You can narrow it down more by posting the 3-letter serial number prefix here or in the "Smith and Wesson serial number search" thread. FWIW all L frames such as a M686 have modern-style 3-letter prefixes, so the build dates are relatively easy to track.

MIM parts and the floating firing pin were introduced with the -5 version in 1996.

FWIW if you didn't already know this, no-dash and some early -1 L frames were recalled because some were shipped with out-of-spec oversize firing pin bushing holes that could allow a soft primer to backflow into the hole upon firing and lock up the gun. The factory normally marked recalled guns with a big letter "M" stamped inside the yoke cut, but I understand that this practice stopped recently, so if the gun has no "M" stamp, you should call customer service to verify whether the recall was done. Also, keep in mind that not every non-stamped gun has an oversize bushing hole; if you can verify that the gun has been fired extensively without problems, it is probably OK.

MrBorland

Also, keep in mind that not every non-stamped gun has an oversize bushing hole; if you can verify that the gun has been fired extensively without problems, it is probably OK.

AFAIK, primer backflow was only a problem on recall guns when shooting full-house magnum rounds. Heavy use without trouble isn't necessarily a reliable test, then, since much (or all) the use may have been with .38spl. As suggested, if it's not stamped, call S&W and ask if the serial # was in the recall range and, if so, if the repair done.

ajgranda

Wow, thanks everyone. I will contact the dealer and get the serial number and ask a few more questions.

Olympus

From the photo, it has a GunBroker tag at the bottom. If the gun has a "Buy Now" option, don't waste any more time and go for it. If not, chances are that the bids will go higher than $500.

357 Terms

Use your better judgement. 500$ for a 686 no dash that possibly hasn't been recalled? I have always been ( and always will be ) hesitant about buying a gun sight unseen ( Olympus?? ) In my area a new 686 can be had for 675 plus tax. BTW I have a 2.5 -4 that is great, also, is that the only photo? not a very good one.

ajgranda

Here are some more pics:

Attachments

• 686b.jpg
    686b.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 56
  • 686c.jpg
    686c.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 45
  • 686e.jpg
    686e.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 40

5Wire

$500 is a great price for this model right now, especially if it checks out well. Here's my track on the 7-shooter version, the Bluebook of Gun Values puts its value $35 above the 6-shooter.

Smith & Wesson 686 Plus Revolver in .357 Magnum, .38 Special, Plus P. 2-1/2 in Bbl. Bluebook of Gun Values (31st Edition) indicates between $375 in 95% condition and $650 in 100% condition for this gun. I have 81 recorded prices for this model gun from $350 to $900 over a period of 6 Yrs 8 Mos ending February 16, 2011. The average price as of that date was $537. No refurbs, no refinishes, regular sights. All represented as 95% or better. No distinction for engineering revision, if any, no special editions, no distinctions for box, papers, tools. Current or last MSRP is $964.

Here's how the data chart out. Note the trend in price is about $620 and the monthly count trend is increasing. This is a change from when the 2-1/2 incher was hard to find (see before April 2008). Prices were attractive, so evidently, folks who had them decided to ride the wave.

SW686Plus25110216.jpg

ajgranda

Thanks for the responses and info. No M engraved in the yolk. I have the serial number (AFA51xx), so I'm going to call SW and see if they would let me ship it to them for free modification if needed.

Edit: Well I get off the phone with S&W CS. Not much help other than saying it was an old model early to mid 80s. They did have the modification back then, but if I want anything done now it would have to be on my dime and he didn't recommend it. He said it was only a small percentage of the guns that had an issue with only heavy .357 load and to stick with moderate loads. Which only makes sense since it only has a 2.5" barrel.

Last edited:

rigby06

I don't know about the dash, but I have a 686 still in gun jail, I almost have finished it's bail, and mine a 4' barrel and was $650. Very nice trigger. :)