1st time 1911 owner question

meat

I've recently caught the 1911 bug. These guns are great. I'd like to get either a springfield loaded model or a kimber custom classic. Not something really expensive, but something that will be good to start my 1911 collection. I don't really want to spend more than 700 bucks on one, so custom guns are out. I also want a brand new gun, not something used. I'd like to get a kimber custom classic series 1 model because of the series 2 safety problems that I've read about here, or a Springfield loaded model. Also, which finish is the best one to get (more durable easier to maintain)? Should I just get parkerized (I've heard that these rust easy, and i don't want that to happen)? Or should I get the stainless. I've also heard that the stainless can actually rust just as easily and that they aren't as accurate as their parkerized siblings. Are there any other issues that I should know about either one of these 2 companies and these 2 guns. Any experienced input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Marko Kloos

I concur. :D

1911a1m.jpg

$650 gets you the Stainless Loaded with Novak sights, memory groove, beavertail, extended safety, and full-length guide rod. Works great out of the box, or can be prettied up even more as desired. That's the nice thing about 1911s...they have more aftermarket parts for them than any other handgun, and every gunsmith knows how to fix 'em.

Stainless is easier to clean and maintain than blued or parkerized steel, and it can be refinished simply by bead-blasting it as fine or coarse as you like. As for accuracy, my Stainless Loaded was the most accurate pistol I've ever bought, right out of the box.

Navy joe

I say get the Springfield in parkerized, if only because that's what a 1911 is supposed to look like ;) It's a classic. None of my park guns rust because I oil them with CLP. The finish and the metal is porous, as all metal is to some degree. A new parked gun will sponge up oil, but once you've got it good the first time, just maintenance wipes. If you carry, daily, weekly or bi-weekly otherwise.

lonegunman

Dont write off Colt. The Colt XSE is a very nice weapon.

Its a little more than the others, but it will always be a Colt, and you will soon forget about the extra money it cost.

RT

I am about to get another 1911. I really like the Springfields but I am waiting 'till the local shops start getting the new models with the recontoured frame. I can't decide between the Parked Mil-spec or a Loaded. Mil-specs are going for around $425. The OD green finish looks pretty nice. I saw one at the gun show last weekend for $599.

RickB

lendringser - Is that picture of a gun with the new frame countours, or was that a mod done after purchase? I think it makes Springfields look 100% better.

Marko Kloos

lendringser - Is that picture of a gun with the new frame countours, or was that a mod done after purchase?

I had the gun recontoured by a good 'smith. The only things that ever bugged me about the Springfield were the blocky frame and the shiny slide flanks, and the recontouring and bead-blasting made me a happy camper.

George Hill

Staff Alumnus
I like my shiny sides. The blockier frames are not really a problem, just as matter of taste. I'd rather they were properly shaped of course... but they don't effect anything other than a purists palet.

The new Springfields with the proper shape are hands down the best value... the most Bang For The Buck.

However they are not the only options:
Safari Arms
IAI
AMT
Auto Ordinance
Charles Daly Field Grades

These others may be had cheaper than the Springfields... but some of them are unknown... like the IAI and the new Charles Dalys. A few people will have them and swear they are fantastic, but there are not enough owners giving reports to call it a good sampling. Auto Ordinance, generally all suck ricks but some people are claiming they are great, so maybe they are getting better? The one Safari Arms milspec I have fired, purchased by a friend of mine, is an EXCELENT handgun. But it is the only one I have really delt with. I'm not sure of how the others are.

RJL

Springfield Loaded Trigger?

Lendringser,

I ordered a Springfield 1911-A1 Loaded in 9mm. The specs on the Springfield web site all look good, except the trigger pull is stated to be 5-6 lbs. I would rather have the trigger pull in the 4 lbs range

How do you like the trigger pull on yours?

Thanks, RJL

RJL

Springfield Armory 1911-A1 9mm

Hi Blombo,

I bought it online at Gunbroker from Young's Guns in Tennessee.

I liked the idea of a 9mm 1911 for me, and I think it will fit my wife for use in IDPA.

After I saw it at Gunbroker, I searched at Auction Arms and Guns America, and couldn't find another one for sale.

The ad from Young's Guns stated Springfield only makes them a couple times a year, and it was the only one at Gunbroker, so I snapped it up.

RJL

Marko Kloos

Lendringser,

I ordered a Springfield 1911-A1 Loaded in 9mm. The specs on the Springfield web site all look good, except the trigger pull is stated to be 5-6 lbs. I would rather have the trigger pull in the 4 lbs range

How do you like the trigger pull on yours?

After the trigger job which reduced the weight to 4.5 pounds, I like it just fine. :) Out of the box, the trigger was north of seven pounds. I don't know if all Loaded models have that kind of trigger pull from the factory, or whether mine was a freak occurrence, but it was the only part on the gun which really needed tuning.

Steve Smith

I originally got a stainless SA Loaded, but eventually became bored with the stainless. I recently got a parkerized model, and I like it much better. The stainless still gets used every now and again, though.

You're in Maryland...you should get stainless.

Tamara

Moderator Emeritus
"Should I get stainless? Blued? Parkerized? Coated with one of these new funky coatings?"

Why even ask that question when you know what the answer is going to be?

"Collect the whole set!" :D