1st revolver

Red_Eagle

I picked up my 1st revolver today. It's a stainless steel Ruger GP 100 with a 4" barrel. I'm cool with the owner so he kicked in a box of mag tech 38 spcl and a box of really old Western Super X 357 mag.

jimbob86

and a box of really old Western Super X 357 mag.

If it was stored properly..... it should be fine.

How old is "really old"?

In the early 90's, my unit fired 8" Artillery propellant packed in 1949..... worked just fine.

Some really old primers leave a corrosive residue in the bore- clean thouroughly after use.

Red_Eagle

Judging by look of them I would say 70's or 80's. One has a corroded primer. If it doesn't fire, I can still salvage the brass.

shortwave

...and a box of really old Western Super X 357 mag.

Judging by looking of them I would sy 70's or 80's

Watch it buddy, your treading on thin ice:D.

I often shoot .22's, 38's dated back to the sixties and 45acp's from the fifties.

As long as the rounds have been kept dry and casing corrosion at a minimum, I wouldn't be afraid of it at all.

The 'really old' Western ammo was fairly good stuff.

Buzzcook

How badly is the primer cup corroded on the *inside*? You don't know, unless you have x-ray vision...... I'd toss it.

Failing that you could put it in the gun and shoot it. There are people firing rounds made in the 1800s. Brass gets green and lead turns white and some time you get some crud built up. That doesn't mean the round won't fire.
If you feel a little hesitant, then clean the cartridge off before you put it in your revolver.
The worst case scenario is that the round will be a squib with the bullet not leaving the barrel.

On edit: you might want to see if the old ammo has value as a collectible.
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=192412749

Big Bill

Getting back on topic, I say congratulations for your purchase and I hope you enjoy it. :) Have you got any pictures?

Red_Eagle

I'll try to post some today or tomarrow. I wanna show you guys this vintage 357 ammo. The box says JHP, but they look like SWCs with a hole drilled in it.:rolleyes:

RWK

Red . . .

Congratulations on the Ruger KGP-141; I own two of them and they are GREAT handguns (reliable, durable, accurate, STRONG, concealable, and effective with the wide variety of .38 Special and .357 magnum loads.).

With regard to your question concerning the old, single box of Winchester-Western .357 magnum cartridges, they are probably okay. HOWEVER, WHY TAKE THE RISK? Whenever I see question like yours, I am compelled to ask are 50 rounds of .357 magnum FMJ (which you can replace easily and inexpensively through almost any reputable internet/mail-order ammunition outlet or at any gun show) worth potentially damaging a terrific, lifelong revolver that can bring you (and your children) generations of pleasure?

stevieboy

I agree with those who suggest you don't shoot the old ammo. That box can be replaced with commericial ammunition for $25 or less. Even if the risk of doing damage to your new gun from firing the old stuff is very small why take that risk over $25?

There are folks out there, btw, who collect ammo. If you have a complete box of something that's really old and not being manufactured any more, why not look into the possibility of selling it to a collector?

rclark

something that's really old
.... 70s, 80s isn't really 'old' :) . Now early 1900 would be 'old' :) . 'Really' old would the 1860s .... I still have reloads from the 80s, some rifle stuff from the 60s and earlier. No problem using it either. I'm talking about 19xx here :) .

Nice gun, you'll enjoy it.

old bear

Sir, your box of "Western Super X 357 mag." is not old, and it should be safe to shoot in your Ruger. You may notice in increase in the felt recoil and muzzle blast, as ammo from that era was loaded somewhat hotter than it is today.

Enjoy the Ruger they are excellent revolvers.

Paul105

If the "really old Western Super X 357 mag" ammo is loaded with lead semi wadcutters (i.e. not jacketed) they most likely will cause severe leading. The soft lead swcs were notorious heavy leaders (don't ask me how I know).

shepherddogs

If they are really old I would just keep them as collectibles. I had a box of fired Winchester Super X .38 cases given to me by a man name Rufus Youngblood I knew as a child. Google him. I carelessly lost the box over the years. Wish I could find it.

Red_Eagle

Pictures

Here is the pics. The 1st is my GP-100 357 mag with it's arch nemisis the Glock 20C 10mm. The 2nd shot is of the vintage 357 mag ammo.

Attachments

• 038.jpg
    038.jpg
    249.7 KB · Views: 40
  • 039.jpg
    039.jpg
    236.5 KB · Views: 33

Sport45

I'm not as experienced as many on this forum, but that's the first time I've EVER seen factory .357mag SWCHP ammo. But then again, I've never looked for it either. Does the box end description match the ammo? It might have some collector value even though the box isn't in the best shape.

You'll like the GP-100.

ETA: I just saw where you indicated the box said JHP. Sounds like those are reloads. I can't recommend shooting reloads of unknown origin.

Last edited:

midlandwalther

Great purchase! My GP100 was the first revolver I purchased and is the only one in my stable. I'll eventually add a 4'' or 5'' to go with my 6''.

RWK

Red,

Those are .38 Special 158 grain LSWCHPs; the revered "FBI load" (if +P pressure, in the current lexicon). Having now seen an image, I suspect they are okay to shoot, although I would carefully inspect each round for corrosion or any other signs of deterioration. In addition, as already mentioned, leading is very likely to be a problem, so you my wish to use FMJs (etc.).

10Ringmagic

Congratulations on your 1st revolver!

You picked a winner to start off with. I also just purchased a KGP-141 with a 4" tube. I have had a few revolvers (still have a couple of S&W's) in my time, and I must say that this Ruger is the most sturdily built revolver I have ever seen.

I'm sure you will love it, enjoy.

Red_Eagle

Shot it yesterday and today. The way the guy at the gun shope described it, I was expecting a real wrist breaker. Felt recoil with S&B and Magtech 158 gr loads was just a little stouter than 45 auto, and a lot easier on the hands than 10mm auto.
I was flinching from the recoil at first. After I shot a magazine of 10mm of of my Glock 20C and went back to the GP-100, the recoil seemed pretty tame.