1st centerfire rifle

Bacchus

I'm thinking about buying my first rifle (other than a .22). I would like to hear some opinions about where I should start.

Mostly I will be target shooting. I would like to have the option to hunt with it, although that is not a primary concern. I want something that is fairly cheap to shoot. I do not reload (yet). I'll definitely put a scope on it and would like it to have some punch in case I want to carry it in the woods.

At this point, I'm considering the Marlin 1894 lever action series, in either 38/357 or 44 mag/special. A friend has a lever action 30-30 that is really nice. I'm also looking at Ruger's Mini 14 or Mini 30. For me, the advantage of the Marlins is that the ammo will complement revolvers that I already have.

Please advise.

RiverRider

Although I can see a certain attraction to the single-caliber rifle/handgun combination, I would urge you to consider going the other route---diversify!

I get the impression that by "target shooting" you really mean something closer to plinking. I suppose that just about any well-made lever gun, or even the Ruger autoloaders would suffice for that role, but if you are interested in shooting small groups on paper I would further urge you to consider a bolt-action in .308 Winchester. Surplus .308 ammo can still be found at reasonable prices. The .308 is inherently accurate, and is definitely a viable hunting round, and you won't get bored with something that simply will not ever shoot under five inches at 100 yards so long as you don't end up with one of those odd rifles that just won't shoot no matter what you do.

But then again, you know what you like, but make sure you understand what the limitations are of whatever you buy, or you may be disappointed.