1st black gun

jason_iowa

I swore when I left the navy that I would never get one as I liked AK and SKS platform so much better. Since I have a gun safe filled with them already I thought it might be time to get an AR.

I have no brand loyalty or even much knowledge of makers I just know there are to many to count

To start out I would like to get

Rifle. not for target shooting, not for hunting, not for home defense. Although I'm sure it could end up being used for all 3 I have no specific use so an all purpose one would be best

30ish 30 round magazines. 3-4k rounds assorted, optics something mil spec for up to 600 yard use. Daylight laser. Bayonet standard issue.

What I would like from you fine ladies and gentlemen is opinions on top 3 brands/models for the rifle and optics.

I would like to keep it around 3k US including ammo. Not sure if that's reasonable but that's kinda where I'm aiming.

Thanks in advance for your feedback

jason_iowa

Thanks ill check them out. Opinions are really what I'm looking for. Outside of military rifles/carbines the the only ones I have shot are bushmaster and dmps or something like that. They both felt very cheap to me although they shot fine.

UtopiaTexasG19

While you are looking around you may want to consider getting your AR with the 5.56 chambered barrel vs. the .223 chambered barrel and also check out the different twist rates of the barrels. I prefer the 1:7 twist rate for heavier weight bullets.

jason_iowa

They make ones that will take both don't they? I would prefer nato for surplus down the road. As I said won't be used for hunting. We can't rifle hunt deer in my part of iowa and its overkill for tree rats.

Te Anau

Whatever brand you choose,get a mid-length.If you decide you want inexpensive,head over to JSE surplus.

HKFan9

I prefer BCM myself, Colt, Spikes, LMT, Larue, Noveske are all top notch as well.

For a solid entry level rifle however I also give a nod to Stag Arms. Their parent company is CMT and makes 75% of the AR worlds parts almost, including receivers many other companies use... cough Noveske cough. They come with a full life time warranty as well. I had one before my BCM and I beat the snot out of it and it kept on ticking. If you are looking to save some cash Stag is a good option.

Personally I think one of the best deals out there is getting a BCM upper and matting it to a quality lower.

chadio

Ok, "no target shooting, no hunting, no home defense".....

What are you intending to do with this rifle? Use it as a conversation piece?

You need a purpose before you even begin to look for the right AR. There are only a brazillion of configurations of different AR's.

BTW - LaRue, Noveske, LMT, Colt, BCM get my vote.

raimius

I am happy with my LMT.

BCM, LaRue, Colt, etc all make fine equipment as well.
If you want to go to 600yds, an 18 inch or better barrel might be desirable. Some companies do sell very accurate carbines, though.

Were you thinking a carbine or full sized model?

Achilles11B

My vote goes to a LaRue upper on an CMMG lower, based on experience. However, as previously stated, you could get 50 guys with 50 different brands. Do your research, maybe find a buddy and see if they will let you shoot their rifle.

HKGuns

I did Del-Ton after extensive research and am a very happy camper. There are others that are better and cost more....I consider Del-Ton to be very high bang for your buck.