1F to 3F

jaguarxk120

I was just putting away the coffee grinder away after processing some bean
coffee.
The thought came to mind why not run some 1F through and make some 3F,
just load the hopper and press the switch.
What do you guys think?

Pahoo

Give it some thought !!!

The thought came to mind why not run some 1F through and make some 3F, just load the hopper and press the switch.
What do you guys think?

Should work; just make sure you have a remove switch on the grinder. Also, make sure to tell when you get the proper granulation and don't go to 4F.

Be Safe !!!

44 Dave

44caliberkid I thought that was "hold my beer and watch this"
Yes any metal grinding parts and black powder is not a good idea.

Your insurance company will be laughing. Don't grind powder in a mechanical grinder.

Powder is ground wet and then pushed through screens to get a certain size.

woodnbow

What’s the worst that could happen? You get nicknamed Lefty... the best that could happen is you loose your eyebrows for a year or two. “Poof! No eyebrows!”

I hope you were joking.

Have you ever heard of powder mills exploding? Do you know that the components for Black Powder are always ground in a wet state, to prevent explosions?

Hawg

I was just putting away the coffee grinder away after processing some bean
coffee.
The thought came to mind why not run some 1F through and make some 3F,
just load the hopper and press the switch.
What do you guys think?

I hope your insurance is paid up.

maillemaker

People do use hand coffee grinders to mill corned powder.

Two things: First, be certain you use a non-metallic grinder. You want a ceramic grinder.

Second, if it has a container for the grinds to fall into, particularly if it is glass, remove that and do not use it. Let the grains fall freely onto a collection surface.

I have one similar to this that I bought for the task. I have not yet gotten around to making powder, though I have ground up all my ingredients.

https://www.amazon.com/Manual-Coffee-Grinder-Ceramic-Tablespoon/dp/B07F2CFSHR

jaguarxk120

Before I try any grinding, I think I'll find a used grinder at a second-hand store.

If I smoke our coffee grinder I'll never hear the end of it!!!!

maillemaker

There is a massive, 100+ page thread over on castboolits in the Muzzleloading section on home-made black powder. A ceramic coffee grinder is an often-recommended tool for grinding pucks.

Do small batches only, and do it far away from any other powder or flammable items, preferably outdoors.

pwc

Go to cast boolets forum; muzzleloading/making black powder. You will find grinding dry powder is done in ceramic mills.

If intending to use a coffee grinder. Best to use a hand crank. As B/P grinders require ceramic grinding internals. Never ever use >metal internals for such purpose.

Scorch

There are a lot of bored people right now, aren't there? Well, if you do decide to do it, make sure it gets loaded to YouTube so we can all see it!