1993 NIB Sig P226-Collectable or Shooter?

BarkeyVA

I have a Sig-Sauer P-226 semi-auto that was purchased new in 1993 (KD). It is in the original box with factory papers and it has never been fired. Should I keep it in the safe as a 'collectable' that might increase in value over time or should I give up on that idea and just enjoy shooting it?

WVsig

Not collectible it is a shooter..... unless you are going to put it in a safe for say 50 years....

:D

defjon

Enjoy it. They made a lot of Sigs :), life is short, and the P226 at the range is a dream of accuracy, low recoil, and reliability!

Uncle Malice

It is in the original box with factory papers and it has never been fired.

Having never been fired is a pretty awesome thing though. I would say to keep it. You can easily sell it to Sig fans. There are plenty of similar guns that have been shot plenty. Those can be had cheap. If yours is in that kind of condition, I would hang on to it. Spend $450 and get one that's already been shot a bunch.

You could probably get almost $800 for a brand new in box.

Uncle Malice

Which is the same price for a NIB Sig made yesterday.... LOL

Exactly.... :rolleyes:

If given the choice between an brand new in box 1993 P226 or a brand new in box 2012 P226.... I'll take the '93 model.

WVsig

If given the choice between an brand new in box 1993 P226 or a brand new in box 2012 P226.... I'll take the '93 model.

As would I but my point is that I and most other Sig shooters/collectors see no extra value in a unshot P226 from 1993.

I personally would opt for a LNIB W. German P226 for say $550 which are available in most markets..... :D

BarkeyVA

Not exactly a large sample but 4 of 6 folks who posted definitely say shoot it. One for keeping it unfired.

If I were to sell it now, how much do you think I could get for it?

Walt Sherrill

Unless a gun is ALREADY a collectible, having one that is NIB and keeping it that way in hopes of it's value appreciating, is a bit like playing the lottery. The odds of you actually coming out ahead are about as slim.

As I've noted in these discussions, before, the values of guns seldom keep up with inflation. For example, using an inflation calculator found on line, that uses the actual change in the value of the US Dollar over time, a gun that cost $600 in 2000 would cost $751.98 in 2010. Just getting your original investment back is hard with most guns.

{Here's a link to the site: try it with some of your guns. It's only good up to 2010; they update it from time to time. http://www.westegg.com/inflation/infl.cgi)

For most of us, about the only way to make money on collectible guns is to find a gun that the seller doesn't know is collectible. Then, if you buy it for a low price, you're taking advantage of that person's ignorance. Not illegal, but maybe unethical.

Shoot the darned thing.

BigJimP

They aren't collectable ...shoot it ...

Value ...depends on which version of the 226 it is .../ for a standard 226 ..value is probably $ 700 - $ 800...

You'd be better off selling it and putting the money into an indexed mutual fund than holding onto it in hopes it will become a collectible, even if it does become a collectible. That is assuming there is no law outlawing P226s or semi-auto pistols.

RobertInIowa

Live a little! Shoot that badboy! It'll eventually be worth it's value just in the enjoyment you get in shooting it. Sig's were made to rock and roll on the firing line not folk dance in your safe.

wgsigs

There is probably someone (another "collector" :p), somewhere, who is willing to pay a premium for an as-new, unfired SIG. It will not be because it is really collectable, in my opinion. It just depends on how much of a premium you want to determine how long you will have to wait in order to actually sell the gun.

I am not a collector of safe queens, nor have I ever believed in buying guns as "investments" so you can guess where I come down on this question.

Last edited:

BarkeyVA

I bought this unfired Sig P-226 from my friend a while back. I paid exactly what he asked for it-$600.

I consider all of my other hand guns and long guns as "shooters," even a rare 16 ga. Marlin Model 90 o/u "Skeetking." I really want to shoot the Sig, but I felt I needed a sanity check to make sure I was not making a serious mistake by doing so.

I appreciate all of your comments.

BarkeyVA

Well, I finally decided to sell the Sig. After more careful examination (found a slight "smiley face" on the top of the barrel) it appeared as if my friend may have shot a few rounds through it. I got $700 for it. Now I want to look for something lightly used in the $400-500 range.

What do you think about a Glock 17? Any other full size 9mm's in that price range I should consider?