1987 Winchester XTR, 30-30

Trooper Joe

Just picked up this nice XTR, AE along with a Compact Leupold 4x rifle scope. Called Winchester this morning and found out it was made in 1987. Has a rebound hammer but no safety which started showing up about 1992.

Came with "see through" scope mount rings which I promptly removed. Now using Weaver bases with Leupold rings.

Usually I just throw away scopes I get on used guns but I found out this Leupold "Compact" scope was made in the early 80's and is somewhat rare (try $245 used and over $500 for one that was allegedly NOS).

This is one of the nicest post '64 model 94's that I have. May even carry it in the woods this fall.

Trooper Joe

Blindstitch

Did you check to see if when you eject a round it actually comes out? Maybe that's why they had see through rings on. I have one with a side mount scope and depending on the scope length and position the right turret gets in the way and the shell falls back in the chamber.

T. O'Heir

"...need some Silvertips..." We all need those. It was a very sad day when Winchester discontinued Silvertips. sniff.
"..."see through" scope mount rings..." They were all the rage in 1987. Sort of helped ejection clearance.

jmr40

right turret gets in the way and the shell falls back in the chamber.

If so mount it 90* off with the elevation turret on the right side and windage on top. No turret on the left side. Works great with normal cross hairs, not with anything with long range dots. You just have to remember that when you adjust up/down you are moving the scope left/right. And when moving the turrets left/right, you're actually moving them up/down. It aint' rocket science.

FWIW the 1980's Winchesters, especially the XTR's were some very good rifles. Many of them in the late 60's through 1979 were spotty as to quality. By 1980 things had improved considerably. At least until the late 1990's.

ThomasT

You found a nice looking gun. I have a model 94 made in 1981 as far as I can tell and mine is worn on the outside with the funny gray/red color on the receiver and lots of little dings and scratches in the wood. But it shoots just great. I made my first ever 30-30 kill with it this year. It kills as good as anything else.

Your gun looks long on the barrel. Is it a 24" barreled gun instead of the usual 20" barrel?