1970 Model 70-Value, Accuracy, General Questions

DT Guy

I've got one of the aforementioned in 30-06, purchased from a friend's dad some years ago. I've been looking around for info on it lately, and haven't found too much-even though I've searched gunbroker and gunsamerica and googled pretty hard.

First question-this rifle has pressed checkering; was that standard, or is this a lower end model?
Second-with a sporter weight barrel, could I expect sub-moa groups from a good example of a post 64 model 70?
Third-in very nice condition, any idea what such a rifle might be worth? I'm not really looking to sell, just mostly curious.

Thanks for any information,

Larry

kraigwy

I have several M-70s, pre and post 64s. In reality I never saw any accuracty advantage to any. All shoot well. Not saying there arnt lemons. Evey make and model has lemons.

My model 70 375 is an early 70s post 64, its a shoorter, as is my wife's 243. My featherweight in 257 is a tac driver as long as you dont let it get too hot. But if you shoot enough to get a featherweight barrel hot while hunting, you ought to take in safeway.

I have a Vietnam era Sniper replica I built on a post 64 action that is outstanding. As is my model 70 300 WM 1000 yard rifle.

As far as accuracy the post 64s dont have to hide from the pre 64s.

Now having said all that, its my opinion that without a doubt the New FN Model 70s are the pick of the litter.

a7mmnut

I've owned three-wish it was 33! Most have shot less than moa, one did 1-1/4" with most loads. The 7mm I own now kills like a lightening rod, and has no future travel plans. I regretted selling the other two almost immediately. One is a pre-64 claw, the other two were push-feeds. The push actions were actually smoother, but times were different in manufacturing back then. I tune all my guns to my liking, so any of them will do better than I can manage, anyhow. I would say the XTR series seemed a little off-par as far as quality was concerned. Tuning brought it right around for most of 14 years.

-7-