1966 S&W Model 38 "Michigan Police Supply." Uhh.. should I stop using this thing?

gfen

'Bout 20 years ago I picked up a 1966 vintage Model 38 in the distinctive MPS colors, blue frame and stainless cylinder.

I think I paid like $210 out the door and it became my carry gun. Went back to S&W once to get tuned up as it wasn't indexing well. Stuck a pair of CTC grips on it, sighted it in and.. That was that.

It spent a few years in my pocket, now I don't carry and it just spends its time in the cabinet.

The question is.. what was once a $210 disposable handgun seems to suddenly not be so worthless, and with some quick googling there seems to be some provenance behind the MPS guns.

Should I retire this from shooter status and just make it a safe queen?

Jim Watson

Are you a collector with a lot of variations of J Smiths?

Otherwise, if you can sell it for a profit, let it go.
If not, carry it, shoot it.

gfen

Not at all, but the number of folks I've seen wanting one like this due to family makes me feel a little bad knowing that even though it will only see a handful of regular .38spl a year is trashing it out.

Plus, NGL, if it fetches a premium due to its now suddenly 'rareity' that I can capitalize on.. why wouldn't I? :) I'm sure there's another lockless Model 38 out there that I can beat up on instead. :)

reddog81

Sounds like it is already well used. Putting a box or 2 of ammo through yearly it isn't really going to change the value much.

However selling it makes sense if others value the MPS connection and you don't really care much about it.

amd6547

Of course, with the Model 38, you have to worry about the frame cracking under the forcing cone. Standard pressure loads only.

L-2

Here's what S&W currently has as a similar revolver, Model 638, should the OP want something new.
I think it was ~$600 out the door.

photo to follow...

Attachments

• CCA53915-FB6C-451F-8350-C6DEDA3AEF92 (1).jpeg
    CCA53915-FB6C-451F-8350-C6DEDA3AEF92 (1).jpeg
    826.9 KB · Views: 6

Mannlicher

if you have not compromised the mythical 'collector value' of the revolver by now, you probably won't in the long run. Use it. Safe queens are abhorrent.