1962 adveertisement - High Standard "Service Gun" 9 shot SA/DA 22rf

bedbugbilly

Somewhere . . and I thought it was on this forum . . I read a thread about a High Standard 9 shot revolver with a swing out cylinder.

I was sorting through some old papers tonight from my high school days - don't even ask why I kept 'em this long . . and ran across an article I had cut out of a gun magazine back in 1962. On the back of the article was the attached advertisement for the High Standard 9 shot SA/DA "Service Gun" - available in 4 & 6 inch barrel lengths and in 22 rimfire. I just thought I'd post it on here for a little bit of "nostalgia".

If this was available today at the $42.95 price, I certainly would have one or maybe a couple of 'em in the "herd". Of course the paychecks were a lot smaller back then as well. I've always heard that these were a good little revolver but I've never run across one and if I did, and the price was right, I'd get it just for plinking.

Just thought that any of you that might have one of these would enjoy seeing the ad from "days gone by". :)

Attachments

• hi standard 21.jpg
    hi standard 21.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 124

Lost Sheep

If I remember correctly, High Standard also used the same action and swing-out cylinder in a Western-styled 9-shot dubbed the "High Sierra" after a naming contest.

Lost Sheep

publius

Learned to shoot a handgun on my Grandfather's Sentinel. Got stolen out of his car when I was in High School. Been looking for one as a farm gun but recently they have gone way up in price. Might have to settle for an old H&R which is really a better gun anyway.

Knew a guy once who said if he could only have one gun, it would be a nine-shot .22LR High Standard. His theory was out of nine available rounds, at least one will connect and bring down the target. Then you can finish him off. He never did get over Nam. No telling what else he carried with him to the grave.

James K

Member In Memoriam
High Standard introduced the Sentinel in (IIRC) 1955. It was not a bad gun but with an alloy frame they did tend to become a bit loose after a lot of shooting. The Sentinel Imperial came out in 1962 and was upgraded with a better finish. Later came the Mark I Sentinel, with a steel frame. During the first "cowboy craze", the basic alloy frame was used in a series of simulated single actions (they were actually DA) that went by names like Durango, Longhorn, Posse, Natchez, Marshal and, yes, High Sierra. The basic gun was still the alloy Sentinel.

Jim