1954 Win M70 270

Nunya53

Ok, so my LGS has had a consignment 1954 Win M70 270 on the rack for a few months....starting price was $999. Yeah I was interested but not THAT interested...It disappeared from the rack while it was on gunbroker but eventually reappeared. The rifle is clean, no rust or spots on the blue and a few honest dings in the stock. I'm no expert, but the bore looked new. The owner said he had sent it off to Colorado for a trigger job and glass bedding. The thing that scared me a little was the barrel, trigger guard and bottom metal was a nice blue, while the receiver was a matt finish. Kinda like a house that's been on the market too long, I was wary but the owner dropped the price to $750

I took a chance and brought it home with me. I can post a pic if there is any interest.

Thoughts on my latest????

Nun

Scorch

Before 1964, Model 70 receivers were kind of satin/matte. But even if it has been reblued, so what? That rifle is 60 years old! Buy the gun for what it is, it's not a collectible, it's a shooter.

eastbank

i have a win 70 made in 1951 in .270 i bought at a very good price as it had a recoil pad put on it and is a super shooter with 140 gr bullets with my favorite load of imr 4350. eastbank.

dmoserwy

I have a 1954 Win 70 Featherweight in .308. Inherited from my father. Great rifle and a great shooter. It does have a recoil pad that I assume dad added.

T. O'Heir

"...on the rack for a few months..." Kind of typical for a deer rifle. Even a pre-64 M70. Wrong time of year.
Mind you, there are some shooters who think any pre-64 M70 will get 'em enough to retire on.

Tony Z

I also have an early 1950's era Model 70 in .270, inherited from dear old dad. It has a sort of matte finish on the receiver and deeper, shiny blue on the barrel. The gun is all original.

COSteve

Pre 1964 Winchester Model 70s are great! Smooth, strong actions and good triggers. I have a 1950 Model 70 in 30-06 with it's original 1st year 1950 Leupold 4x scope and mounts on it that I bought back in the early 60's from a friend of my Dad when he decided to get a new Model 70 in 458 Winchester Magnum. (Why, I never knew.) The black anodizing on the scope has turned a dark purple and worn thru at the front.

Like the OP's, the barrel, trigger guard, and magazine plate are a more polished blueing while the receiver is a more flat finish. In my younger days it went on many hunts with me and still to this day it's a well trusted, honest shooting rifle that my son is proud to have 'inherited' already from me. Yes, it has some honest wear on the stock but it's a shooter, not a safe queen. All in all, a great shooter and a classic rifle.

DSCN2955.jpg

Nunya53

Thanks for the replies....I don't own any safe queens, they're all shooters and I will definitely take this out on my next hunt....maybe...I have an FN M70 264 win mag that may take precedence....

Nunya

Buckeye!

Thats one of my " looking/wishing for rifles .. 270 Winchester is my favorite cartdridge.. and a Model 54 is the perfect rifle for that cartdridge!

jmr40

I think $999 is on the high side for a pre-64 of that era in that caliber and configuration. The pre WW-2 rifles have some collector value and some made between the war and 1964 in rare calibers or configurations. If I had that rifle, with some family history $2000 wouldn't buy it. But without any history I think it is over priced.

Minorcan

I think you got a fine shooting rifle that you like in excellent condition at a fair price, what's not to like. The difference in color is factory as far as I know since the ones in my family came and are all like that. The wood is usually nice but its not oak so a few dings are just badges of use. Enjoy you ne rifle, and post a pic of your first buck with it.