1952 Marlin 39A broken ejector spring...

StukaJU87

Does anyone know where I can get replacement ejector springs for a 1952 Marlin 39A?

I have already tried the following websites:
Numrich - out of stock
Midway - Discontinued
Brownells - Wasn't listed
And several other places that were suggested after a quick google search. Even tried Marlin/Remington as a last resort, all they could suggest was Numrich...

Thanks in advance for any help.

Last edited:

Art Eatman

Staff in Memoriam
The hard way: Make a spring. A hobby shop which caters to model airplanes likely has spring steel wire. IIRC, three-foot lengths.

You can use a nail of proper diameter as a mandrel and wind the wire to the appropriate spring length.

Drm50

I made a ejector spring out of a broken spring out of junk box. I think it was a
spring out of a A5 Brn trigger assembly. I used dremil cut off wheel and filed to
correct width. I never throw broken flat springs away. Actually some flat springs
can be replaced using spring wire. The 39 ejector spring is a tough one because
of its narrow width. Brownell has flat spring assortments that I have used with
not much success making springs for H&R and IJ top breaks. It might hold up
well for 39 ejector. I found it didn't take well to cold bending for wishbone type
springs. I have a gunsmithing book by Barnes that shows how to replace flat
springs with formed spring wire. This isn't forming coil springs. It is possible
that 39 spring could be made this way if the diameter of spring wire would
provide enough power to do the job. Looks to me it would be .010" wire to
allow clearence.

StukaJU87

Update: Thanks for all the help, I was able to get a spring and install it. However, now I have a new problem.

The ejection of the brass is not very consistent. It is mostly ejected at the 3 or 4 o'clock position and about 4-6 feet away. Every now and then, it will throw some at the 5 o'clock position. When this happens, the brass tends to land only about a foot away.

I'm not sure if these inconsistencies are caused by the ejector, extractor, or something else. This rifle had always been reliable and consistent before the spring broke.