1949 Winchester Model 70 value

butwhat

I have a Winchester model 70 30.06 serial number 116XXX.
Manufactured in 1949
I don't believe it has been fired but need to check into it further.
Does anybody have an idea on a good selling price for the gun?
It would be sold for a friends mother.
This will be sold for a friend whose father passed away. I had no idea what the gun was worth. Still don't other than it is worth considerably more than I would have thought at first glance. His father had left the gun in it's case with a full box of shells. It has a little surface rust.

The man that had the gun bought it with one box of bullets. There was a full box of bullets in the case with the gun.
I haven't had much time to look at the gun but at first glance it looks as if it would be new out of the box. And never had a prefire cleaning.
I would like to buy this gun but I can't afford it.

I know that I will have to clean the gun up & try to determine if it has ever been shot - Any advice on that?
& get some pictures.
Thanks

Art Eatman

Staff in Memoriam
The 2007 Gun Digest "Guns & Prices" says $1,150 for Excellent condition for post-WW II pre-'64s.

Fjestad's Blue Book says double that for Super Grade. For all, more $$$ for the less-common calibers, but the '06 was common.

I'd get a copy of Shotgun News to double check on what the market is asking.

Cleaning very-light surface rust: First, very carefully undo the screws; don't "hickey" the slots. I've found that very fine steel wool and WD 40 works. Rub very, very gently so as not to get into the bluing.

Art

homefires

model 70

My father had like 7 of various calibers. .243 - .375. Man I wish I had bought one from him years ago.

You just can't find a rifle like that any more!

Jim

butwhat

Thanks for the info.
Is there any definative way of telling if the gun has ever been shot?
I see no marking around the firing pin. Other than that I'm not sure what to look for.

Art Eatman

Staff in Memoriam
Take the bolt out and look at the face. If it has been turned on a cartridge case, or fired, there will be a little bit of brass rubbed onto it. If you use a magnifier, it would help. No brass ring, coupled with the comment about the full box of shells makes a pretty good reason to believe it's unfired.

Just a guess, though...

Art

Yellowfin

Write a check and buy it for yourself. If you have fewer than 3 of them in your own safe it'd be stupid to pass it up. My dad has had one for most of his life and wants nothing else, and my little brother and I just got one each in .270 and .264 respectively and also think nothing else on earth to be better.