1917 advice

porkskin

my Cabela's has one of the new retro 1917's in blue for $799. i am amazed by the lack of weight to this revolver. The only thing that kept me from jumping on it was this; i have no dealings with the new key lock smiths and MIM parts. Are they that big of a deal. the rest of my revolvers are older-colt cobra, s&w 31 and 649. Also, are the moon clips a big pain in the rear for casual plinking. Is this revolver going to be relatively accurate? Any advice would be truly appreciated before I go for 8-hunge on this gun

Hafoc

Well, what can I say? I have one and I like it a lot. But I've probably only put about 100, maybe 150 rounds through it so far. I have no idea how it will hold up in the long run. In the short run, it's a beautiful revolver and seems to be very well made.

Moon clips are a bit of a pain, but quite easy to handle if you get a tool to help you unload the cases from them. Snapping the cases into the clips hasn't been a problem. There are some really fancy tools to help you moon or de-moon, as they say, but the one I have is identical to the one on http://www.cactustactical.com/osc/product_info.php?products_id=638 . It's cheap, pocketable, relatively foolproof, and it works just fine.

You can use .45 auto rim cartridges if you don't like the moon clips. I haven't found any .45 AR preloaded ammo, which is a pity- with smokeless powder the .45 AR makes more sense as a revolver cartridge than the blackpowder era .45 Colt that I also handload and shoot.

My only problem with the "Model 22 Model of 1917" is that while the grips are pretty, they're a bit too authentic for my big hands to enjoy. First I tried a Tyler T-grip, which might be the best solution; it just goes into place between grip frame and trigger, held in place by the factory grips.

But I saw that http://www.cdnninvestments.com/ had some walnut target grips for S&W N-Frame square butt revolvers. They charged $9.95 for them, and even with a second $9.95 for shipping (but they also threw in a free gift of a fake Swiss Army Knife) I thought it was a reasonable deal.

The only problem was that the target grips turned out to extend below the bottom of the grip frame. That meant the military style lanyard loop had to go if I was going to use them. The swivel turns out to be easy to remove. It's held in by a roll pin that goes through the grip frame's bottom rib, side to side. It's not tightly fitted. I could push it out with the end of an Allen wrench and a few gentle taps with a wooden stick. (Can't find the punch set, dagnappit.)

For now I have the target grips on the 1917. A pity really, as the others are more attractive and have that antique flavor, but the target grips fit my hand better. I didn't need to damage anything to get the lanyard loop and the original grips off, so I can put them back on any time I want.

Hammer It

The only thing that kept me from jumping on it was this; i have no dealings with the new key lock smiths and MIM parts. Are they that big of a deal ?

Hello
They are Only a big deal if you make them one. ;) I have a S&W Model 25-13 Mountain gun in .45 Colt Caliber. This revolver has a smoother action than some of my Vintage S&W wheel guns. The Lock does not bother me as I do not use it and Ignore it's existence. If it bothers you that much if you Purchase one, I am sure a Clever Gun Smith could make it Inoperable.Looking at the whole Picture if you want to enjoy a certain Caliber in a S&W wheelgun that was made many years ago, Like the 1917 you can either pay Twice as much as a new one for a example in decent shape, or Ignore the new designed actions and Locks and go for the Re-Intro Models. What I find is most model 1917's I come across at Local gun shows have been Rode hard and done their service to the War effort with many Bruises or worn parts like cylinder locks, and may have star wheel timing issues, Piting in the cylinder and Bore, or may be just Plain Dangerous to fire if worn beyond their service Life. The Re-Intro series give a buyer a chance to own a New fresh revolver designed to handle todays High pressure ammo and they also come with a Lifetime warranty that is second to none in the hand gun Business.;) I have heard Guys Belly ache in the past about Quality issues with certain Era S&W's. Some feel that the Bangor-Punta Era revolvers were the worse quality that the company has ever Produced. :confused: The fact of the matter is I have Plenty from that Era and it depends on each example as to what the quality issues are. As time wore on, S&W made many changes in materials and I feel the newer Metals and styles of heat treating that eventually got Changed at S&W which Placed a better long term durability quality into their revolvers. I have Plenty of S&W's Made Prior to the Merge of Bangor-Punta in the Mid 1950's as well, and have changed Worn Cylinder Hands, Worn Out Star extractors, Worn Cylinder Locks and so on, so I Can't Point a finger at what the Peak of quality was Back then on any of Their revolvers, one must Take each one and examine it's eye appeal and features as far as durability goes. I can tell you that to me the best eye appeal, Fit and Function of any of my S&W's was in the Pre-War Era. They were all hand fitted and Hand Polished back in that time span and it is Trully a Mark of excellence owning one of them in prime condition. War time revolver's Like the model 1917 & The First series Triple locks, Second series Hand Ejects and Third series Triple Locks show very Poor Fit & Finish details as they were all produced at such a High Volume Finish and eye appeal was not the concern in that Time Period. :( If you want a nice Looking revolver that has High eye appeal, Good fit & Finish, along with a Lifetime service warranty I suggest you Purchase one of the Re-Intro's and enjoy shooting it without the worry of worn parts.. Hammer It

Joe the Redneck

First things first, the day I pay $799 for a revolver is the day I know I have too much money. That was the same price I paid for my AR-15! A little too much profit margin built into that one.

I have the "1917" model that S&W made for Bolivia in 1928, I paid 280 for it ten years ago. Shoots great.

I'd look for one of those. I think S&W is out of their minds with these prices, and Im a fan.

Gotta send a message, vote with your dollar.

Erik

I will never spend that kind of money on a locked S&W, or a non P&R'd one, for that matter.

The glory days of S&W revolvers are gone.

The revolvers made during them, however, are every where.

Find and buy one, likely for less than the $800 your considering.

Jdomin

21-4

I have a 21-4 in 44 special 4 inch barrel shoots at point of aim,yes it has the lock and its accurate! the 1917 is also a great handgun.

KurtC

The current revolvers hold their value about as well as week old milk. If you like the 1917 pattern, the Performance Center made a few hundred of them as part of the pre-lock Heritage series, back in 2001. They cost a little over $1K if you can find one, but they are wonderfully built and will retain their value.

Reference057.jpg

Hafoc

Yeah, well, we all know that all S&Ws are junk ever since the latest modification. That's how things have been since mastodons roamed the earth; any time S&W changed anything about their design, everything before the change was considered good and everything after the change, bad. That continues until the next modification, whereupon the system resets and we do it all over again.

RDak

FWIW, I like my 1917 Model. The action is very smooth and the gun shoots comfortably. I'm glad I bought it.

However, the grips are a little too small for me. Not bad but a little too small.

20nickels

Too answer your question, "are moonclips a pain". Yes and no. I like 'em. I can load them up in front of the TV and shoot lots when I get to the range, but you need tools to properly unload them without bending. They are tough, but not indestructible. Do you reload? Try .45 autorim. Very versitile gun.

TABING

S&W Brazil contract 1917s used to go for $125.00 for "handpicked" from SOG and other surplus houses. They started at $79.00.

They ought to be on the market occasionally, I'd check around for one of these.

Glad I got a couple of few then.

I could justify todays prices for a new S&W.