1913 Army Service 32-20

longranger

I just picked this up at a neighboring town gun store.I found it on G.B. and noticed it was semi local.Called them up,went and looked made an offer it was accepted.It is in better condition that you could expect for a shooter quality 1913 Colt.Action like butter,sweet,sweet, trigger pull S/A and D/A.I have 9 Colts various years and configurations,this one smacks the rest down for finish,black glass.The 'I' frame Colts are the best revolver frame ever created by man,in my not so humble opinion.;)
I was wrong on the date,it is 1913,fire blued screws,give away.

Attachments

• 100_1860.jpg
    100_1860.jpg
    255.8 KB · Views: 166
  • 100_1862.jpg
    100_1862.jpg
    248.5 KB · Views: 101
  • 100_1864.jpg
    100_1864.jpg
    262 KB · Views: 87
Last edited:

longranger

I was hoping you would not notice,it will be done before the snow flies. it looks that bad because I pressure washed it a week ago and it won't stop raining long enough to dry and seal.:rolleyes:
This was one of the revolvers you once in while find a lump of coal and turn it to a diamond.I did nothing more than solvent washed everything,dried it and waxed it.:eek:

You know, generally I'm not much of a fan of Colt revolvers of any time frame, much preferring Smith & Wessons...

But man, no one could put a polish and blue finish on a revolver like Colt could in the early days.

Mike1957

An outstanding find. The finish looks nearly new.
I thought my 32-20 Army Special was in good shape for its age (made 1926) It still has most of the original finish, but unlike yours, mine has darkened and dulled a little over time.

coltarmyspecial-1.jpg

longranger

Mike,
Yours would look as nice if you,wipe the revolver down with solvent (Hoppes#9) and dry thoroughly with a soft clean towel/rag. Remove as much of the solvent as you can.Then wax your revolver with the best wax you can find,high quality car wax will work,no wax' that has cleaners added.Let dry dry hard(white) and buff with clean soft dry towel.I stopped oiling my guns years ago,clean up is easier and finger prints disappear with little effort.It' good enough for museums on their firearms good enough for mine.
Wal-Mart sells cloth diapers,best material for wiping butts and guns.;)

Last edited:

longranger

But man, no one could put a polish and blue finish on a revolver like Colt could in the early days.

Mr. Irwin you are so correct,This is the best finished revolver I have ever owned.I am in awe of the finish,pure black glass and fire blued screws and trigger.I knew it was nice but it looked a lot like Mikes 1926. 30 min clean up and thats what was under 98 years of oil.

rodfac

As long as were admiring .32-20's, here's mine, albeit, a Smith of pre-war vintage...I've posted it before, just can't remember if it was here. At any rate, here goes. Elegante, eh Komrads. Love those early ones.

Regards, Rodfac

P5031389.jpg

P5031391.jpg

Last edited:

Mike1957

As long as we are on a 32-20 kick, here are a few more.

S&W 32-20 Hand Ejector. 1920. An old reblue, but it`s still a good shooter.

SW32-20-1.jpg

Colt Police Positive Special 32-20. Made 1918. It`s been reblued and not even all that great of a job of reblueing. But like the Smith, it`s still a good shooter.

coltpositive3220-1.jpg

I bought this one thinking it was an Official Police 32-20. But when I checked the serial number I found it was too old. It`s actually an Army Special that has been rebarreled with an Official Police barrel.
Even if it`s not exactly what I thought it was, it`s still a nice shooter, and has real pearl grips.

coltoffial32-20-1.jpg

celtgun

As good as ever made

I have a 32-20 made 1910, and a 38 Special made 1916. They shoot great, the 32-20 has an excellant reblue, the 38 is only 50/60%, no rust. They have the best feeling action ever, right up there with my Python.
My nephew at about age 12 shot it and said "Uncle Lee you should give me that gun". Yes, it is left to him. 100 years old this year, still shooting good.
The fit of these pistols is beyong compare, the seam at the front of the crane will not catch your finger nail. Nobody did it better.

Pray and Shoot Daily.
Lee Jones(Celtgun)

"Tolerance, like moderation, is a virtue best observed in moderation." (In essence, tolerance means that you don't really give a damn.
Chairman Jeff Cooper

kle

I made a monster out of mine:

4312661223_2a80204dce_b.jpg

It had already been Parkerized when I picked it up anyways, so whatever collectors' value it had was gone already. Still, it's a fun shooter.