1911A1 sucumbs to piece of plastic!!!

Navy joe

HeHe! Yeah, it was on the ropes for about 1 second as that evil piece of plastic at the bottom of Wilson mags took a stand for polymers everywhere and broke all to hell. Mag inserted too deep and locked gun up. A quick mag drop and swap and all was well again.

I was pretty dumbfounded, but the two top pieces of the rail that engage the mag body werre cracked and the basepad cocked down partially off the body. Mag functioned ok with basepad removed though, not a fix since little baseplate holding spring in is rather free to escape.

In fairness, I'll keep using Wilson mags, there's no other good choice out there. This was also a relic, actually stamped Wil-Rog, so its a few years old. Gotta see if they make metal basepads, If not I'm gonna make some out of Aluminium block.

dsk

I replaced the plastic basepads on mine with aluminum ones the minute they came out of the package. Look on Wilson's site, they have some nice low-profile alloy and steel basepads that also make the mags a lot better for carry.

Handy

I've had excellent results with the Chip McCormick Shooting Star mags. They're all metal and feed hard ball and soft. Reasonably priced.

Over inserting a mag is not something you expect with a full-sized 1911 and regular mags, although it can happen pretty easily with an officer's-sized frame and regular sized mags. Over insertion can be a bad thing as not only may it cause a malfunction but the mag catch takes a beating as it tries to catch the slot of the mag as it is being inserted, and then is forced out of the slot as the mag is driven beyond its proper stop location.

As a personal preference, I like Wilson's steel base pads. They add a little weight and simply get the empty mag a little more pul to drop free on empty.

I like the steel bases on my carry mags. I keep the think plastic bases on my practice mags as the bases tend to get beat up a bit when doing combat reloads over hard surfaces such as rocks or cement.