1911A1 Lust

Jorah Lavin

{rant on}

I was waiting for my wife at the mall yesterday, and realized that I'd concocted a full-blown plan to sell my non-.45 guns to raise the money to buy a Kimber Compact CDP:
http://www.kimberamerica.com/CDP.htm

That's when I realized that I've got it bad... 1911 Lust, or "government model fever." After I realized that I had bought each of my other guns for particular reasons, and all of those reasons still held, - and additionally I realized that my rather junky assemblage of guns probably wouldn't get me much more than half way toward the purchase price of the Kimber - I resigned myself to saving a few dollars a week toward the gun. :( I should have the money together by early 2002. :(

I was reading a magazine called "The Complete Book of the 1911" and it occured to me that I'd also like to own a true Government Model-style 1911A1. Who makes a fairly faithful version of this gun? The Springfield entry looks pretty good: http://www.springfieldarmory.com/std_milspec_1911.html

Anyone able to point me towards others?

{/rant over}

MTAA

Get the Springfield MilSpec !!!

This is the one and only 1911 you will need.

1. Its one of the cheapest out there[b/]. Anywhere from $400-$500

2. Its a faithful recreation of the original, i.e. no forward slide serration, no long, drilled out trigger, no beavertail grip safety, spurred hammer. This is a cool base gun with Browning designed options I actually prefer over the custom stuff.

3. Its well made. All the MilsSpecs I have seen have tighter fit than Springfields "Loaded" model. I was really impressed with the fit and finish.

4. The best base gun on the market. No doubt.

5.It's a Springfield. Great customer service, well estabilished name, no swooshy foppish emblems or lame unknown name.

6.You don't need anymore than that. It is a reliable and accurate gun. If you decide to upgrade, you can customize it and make it a better shooter for less of the cost of one of these "package guns".

Scrap the CDP idea, I don't know why so many people buy short barrelled, short framed 1911s. Its an impractical carry gun, doesn't hold many rounds, and are a pain in the arse to shoot. .45 out of a 3 inch barrel ? Come on, stick with the stock length, you'll be much happier.

cplane

I can identify with you on the 1911 fever. I kept buying and selling guns because I wasn't satisfied with any of the choices I was making. I finally hit the nail on the head and bought the CDP ultra. I have been completly satisfied with it and it is my main ccw piece.It is extremely accurate and easy to carry.A 45 out of a 3" barrel can knock anything on 2 legs down! I even posted here saying that I probably wouldn't need another "fix" for a long time. Then it hit me, "1911" Fever! I got to thinking I needed an original WWII 1911 just for plinking and such. After no luck with finding one that was reasonably priced I Decided the Full sized Kimber Custom Classic with the walnut grips would give me the best of both worlds. I get the classic original styling and looks along with the accuracy and quality of a modern Kimber. (I think it's the wood!) Check out the Heritage Kimber along with the custom classic.I like the springfields and probably would have considered buying one , but the one I looked at was finished out with a rough feel to it.Kimbers have a smoother finish and for just a little more money you get a lot more value.My custom classic is a great shooter but I prefer to carry the smaller CDP when I need a CCW :)

Hoppy

Moss,

I am going through exactly what you are going through.

I always come back to a 1911 even after satisfying the latest fix. I have looked at a Kimber Compact. Very nice, probably can't get one here in Mass. anyway. I have also wanted an authentic WWII army issue. For that I have looked at the Springfield Armory Mil-Spec. It looks great.
The Kimber Heritage also caught my eye. Anyone have a price on that?

Have you heard anything about Auto-Ordnance? They have 3 nice 1911's in their line. I have heard questionable remarks on quality, but the company was recently bought by Kahr Arms. (which by the way, make one hell of a nice semi-auto). Based on that quality, I'm thinking that maybe the new Auto Ordnance should be made well.

I'm not sure what I'm going to do yet on the 1911, I'd like to look and inspect all of the options.

Good luck to you!

Jorah Lavin

Short Barrels Are Fine

I'm currently shooting quite a few .45 rounds through my Kimber Ultra (shorter barrel than the CDP Compact) and I don't find the kick bothersome at all.

I was thinking of going with the CDP Compact since it takes the same magazines as my Ultra, with a bit longer barrel.

-Moss

George Hill

Staff Alumnus
All you need:

px9171.jpg

cplane

Moss, The melt down tratment plus night sites and the front strap checkering , double diamond checkered rosewood scales, etc...etc... The CDP gives you a couple hundred dollars worth of extras for the money you spend. If you carry IWB , The meltdown treatment is more comfortable.

George Hill

Staff Alumnus
Yes, but a single stack... which I prefer.

I had an interesting email.
Someone offered a trade... My beloved Detonics for a NIB Springfield as shown in my post.

I declined it off the cuff.
But it was an interesting idea...
I might consider one if it wasn't a 9mm. The Detonics is great - but I am a huge Springfield fan... Unrepentedly.

MPower

you got off cheap...

Count your blessings that your lust only drove you to a Kimber CDP (great pistol by the way). My Wilson Combat Classic two-tone arrives on Friday :) My wallet is $1700 lighter :(

George, I am also looking at a Dectonics Combat master. Did yours need any work before it was suitable for carry? What should I look for?

1911Ford

Hey MPower good deal. My Wilson SS Protector should be here in a couple more months.

Moss
If you want a mil-spec gun then I would look at the Springfield. If you want something with a few more bells and whistles then I would look at the Kimber.

I own a Kimber and have handled a Springfield. The Kimber feels and looks a little nicer to me. IMHO the finish is nicer on the Kimber than on the SA. Both good guns for the money.

Pj0759@aol.com

George,you got it right.V-10 is a great pistol. I have had mine a couple of years..2-tone ported model,sweet shooter,and rather intimidating looking if I say so myself...PJ

Patrick Seeber

I have 3 Kimbers, 1 Springfield 1911-A1. The Kimbers get the trigger time with me.

One of the Kimbers is a Pro CDP. Perfect for me. It's the one of the most accurate firarms in the safe. Depends on target engagement distance... (I don't like to shoot the .45s at 100 yrds - do better with .22's!)

The Kimber Custom Stainless is the 2nd most used competition pistol. Accurate, just enough weight, smooth trigger! After 2500 rounds, trigger is crisp and not too heavy. (it ain't no Glock!)

The Kimber Ultra Carry is pretty accurate too! It's punishing for me (computer hands and wrists) but would be a nice backup gun! (grin) I can hit around 60% of the eggs you place at 25yrds - it's accurate too - and so small, "cute" almost comes to mind...

The Springfield 1911-A1 Stainless is also a very nice pistol, but the Kimber Custom was cheaper (I can hear it now... No WAY!) but it's true. It also has the common complaint that it is toooo sharp on the edges. It literally EATS my Kydex holsters!!! After break in, it had the nicest trigger... but it's too thick and sharp for me.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it!

YMMV...

Bullshooter

Springfield gets my vote!

Been a .45ACP shooter since the mid sixties. Have owned and shot a wide variety of different makes and models. I've settled on a full size (Gov't Model) Springfield Armory "Loaded" in stainless. I replaced the pretty cocobolo grips with some rather utilitarian black rubber Hogue fingergroove grips. Also replaced the two piece full length guide rod with a one piece because it kept coming loose.

I fire between 100 to 200 rounds per week through this pistol and the only problems I've had were with some hollow points with a little too much lead exposed. Several of them failed to feed.

IMHO Springfield Armory offers the best "bang for the buck" available in a dressed up .45ACP. Don't misunderstand, Kimber, Baer, Wilson, Clark, STI, Rock River (ad infinitum...) offer high quality, ultra reliable and highly accurate pistols. My experience though has proven that the Springfields can hang right in there with them at a significantly lower cost.

George Hill

Staff Alumnus
Springfields two part guide rod

This is something a lot of shooters replace.
It can come loose very easily.
There are three solutions:
1. Replace with a solid rod.
2. Remove the guide rod and use a regular cap.
3. Take a wee bit of blue locktight on it.

I do #3... No problems.