1911a1 - CMP

kraigwy

The president signed the NDAA. Defense bill.

An amendment to this bill authorizes the Civilian Marksmanship Program to sell surplus M1911a1 to citizens of the United State.

I do know the CMP has possession of these pistols, I saw the crates while at the CMP Advanced Maint. Clinic.

How long it takes the CMP Armors to inspect and test these pistols plus the sales staff to come up with a sales plan, pricing, etc. is up in the air.

But its a start. From what I've read from the bill the CMP can sell 10,000 a year.

DaleA

??? !!!

Color me surprised!

Do you think the CMP will have armorers courses for the 1911 like you took for the M1?

kraigwy

45s are a bit different then M1s.

They are more like ARs. If you can put together a jigsaw puzzle, you can put a 1911 together.

Kreyzhorse

My wife will not be pleased..... but after buying a nice M1 from them last year, I'll certainly try to get my hands on one.

JimmyR

I must admit, while I am not a full bore 1911 lover, I have a depe appreciation for the pistol. I figure they will be making their way into the market outside CMP members over the next few years, simply because people love the classic 1911s.

My questions are these:

1) What impact do you think this will have on people with collector grade WWII era 1911s?

2) What price point do you think the CMP will sell them for, and what do you guess their eventual street price to be?

tahunua001

CMP 1911s

how in the heck did I get to this topic first?

it's a little early, but apparently, if online firearms blogs are to be believed, the CMP will be able to sell 1911s soon.

handguns have been authorized by a rewording of the laws that allow US Army storage depots to transfer firearms to the CMP with a few provisos.

1. only 10,000 handguns are allowed to be transported per year.

2. CMP now has to actually get an FFL.

3. more than likely they will have to require handguns to be sent to an FFL rather than straight to your door like long guns.

so here's a question for any of the fellows who were serving back during the transition from the 1911 to the M9. what condition can we expect these guns to be in? personally I only touched a handful of M9s in my service and they were so beat to hell that I really wouldn't want to buy one, if the 1911s are in as bad of shape then that creates a concern for me. yes I'm sure that they will split up into rack, field, service, and collectors grade like they do with the garands, but I'd still like a little input if possible.

Ibmikey

The pistols are being stored by CMP but are the property of the US Army and will require transfer to CMP ( if they in fact want to) before any action can be taken.

1stmar

Cmp has sent emails to customers providing updates on this bill. I don't think there is any question about their intent. It's now simply a matter of time.

saleen322

so here's a question for any of the fellows who were serving back during the transition from the 1911 to the M9. what condition can we expect these guns to be in? personally I only touched a handful of M9s in my service and they were so beat to hell that I really wouldn't want to buy one, if the 1911s are in as bad of shape then that creates a concern for me.

I think they will be like police trade ins, some shot a lot and some just carried a lot. My last about 20 months in the Marine Corps I was assigned to Inspector-Instructor duty at a Marine Reserve Center in Huntington, NY. One of my duties was to be the armorer. I am guessing a bit now as I got out in 1977 but we had 30 give or take 1911s. They were all in very good shape as shooters. They were carried during some drills and for some of the 2 weeks of training in the summer and maybe half of them were actually shot once a year for qualification. That reserve center was closed sometime later after I got out so heaven knows where the pistols ended up at. Point being that those 1911s would be great to have. I am sure there are also some that were beat to death. Only time will tell. YMMV

JohnKSa

Administrator
1) What impact do you think this will have on people with collector grade WWII era 1911s?
My guess is that none of the CMP pistols will be collector grade, or even close. Well-worn, arsenal refinished, mismatched but fully functional pistols is what I would expect. Shooters, not collectibles.

One significant difference in this program compared to the other CMP sales. My understanding is that the pistols will have to be shipped to an FFL, unlike the long guns the CMP sells.

PolarFBear

This all sounds good. I, too, truly appreciate the 1911. But, my experience with these "old" 1911's are they are w-o-r-n out. In the early 80's the ship's arsenal had a battery of 1911's: everyone had a cracked slide. What a ridiculous sight; sailors wandering around with 4X6 RED DANGER tags hanging from the rigger guard. But it was all we had. If the internals were as beat as the slides (and I am sure they were) these potential CMP 1911's are only fit for the slag pot no matter how much we may desire them.

kilimanjaro

According to rumor and scuttlebutt, there are crates filled with the mythical Singer 1911A1.

Regardless of make, as far as collectors go, I would expect prices to increase a bit, due to larger increased demand resulting from smaller increased supply. If they are truly worn-out doorstops, then high-grade pistols will increase even more on the collector market.

michael t

I hope people leave them alone . Their history I have a made in DEC 1941 USGI bought in 80's It has new barrel(original was worn out) and larger fix sights installed back then. I can return it to original pretty quick If I wanted to .

Might run value of some collections also. :mad:

Road_Clam

While i'm not holding my breath to obtain a CMP 1911 , at least those several hundred thousand milsurp 1911's will be put to good usage back into civillian recreational service ! My first semi pistol after I obtained my handgun permit was a polished nickel Colt's government 70 , I really liked that 45 had to sell it as my new bride was at the time anti-handgun. Looking forward to getting a 1911 from the CPM sometime down the road...