1911A-1 springfield .45 auto repo

eastbank

i got this pistol late last year, a early 1911 A-1 springfield .45 auto in unused condition from a good friends estate(350.00). it was very stiff and before firing it i lubed it and worked the slide while watching TV for several hours, i tore it down and cleaned and polished the inturnal parts and have shot up wards of 200 rounds of walmart bulk winchester .45 ball ammo with out a FTF-FTE, i know its not a original 1911 but it acts like one. i have two original colt 1911,s that will not get fired much now. eastbank.

P71pilot

Nice buy, springfield can put out a good product when they want.

I personally prefer beavertails and better sights, but a deal like that and i would snatch one up in a hearbeat.

g.willikers

They used to make the GI model that's even a little more like the original, including the tiny front sight and old timey ejection port.

agtman

i got this pistol late last year, a early 1911 A-1 springfield .45 auto in unused condition from a good friends estate(350.00).

What do you mean "early 1911A1 S.A."? Did you call S.A. and have them run the serial number to determine when it was built? Is it parkerized, or blue?

If it's a mid-80s to early 90s "G.I." base model 1911, it should be a great gun. Back then, those GI 1911s were built with high quality tool steel, no MIM junk.

eastbank

small front sight and regular ejection port,parked. serial number 412x. marked model of 1911-A1 cal .45 on left side of the slide, springfield armory with a small springfield seal on the right side of the slide. on the right side of the frame in small letters springfield armory geneseo il usa. eastbank.

P71pilot

Eastbank, springfield made that model up to about probably roughly 4 years ago. That is not an old pistol, as Springfield has only been around for about the late 70's or early eighties, i believe. Also, i think the "older" models of their first days where blued

eastbank

as the serial number is a little over four thousand, i thought it may be older(not a original 1911) i found some info on the 1911 A-1 springfield repo,s, made from 1985-90 parked-blue-duotone. but i am happy with it, i did put other grips on it. eastbank.

Last edited:

AK103K

My first two Springfields were "kit" guns I picked up off a dealer buddy of mine back in the mid 80's. I was expecting a "gun". What I got was two bags of parts, each a complete gun, just in pieces. But hey, at $250 a pop.......:)

Out of about a dozen or so, they turned out to be the best Springfield 1911's I owned, and the only two of theirs I wouldnt mind having back.

Back then, they still made them to GI specs, and they were basically "correct". Past that, the quality went downhill pretty fast, and the last 6 or so I owned, were junk.

I had a number of M1A's over the years too, and like the 1911's, the early guns were great, the later ones, not so much. I dont buy anything Springfield anymore.

TunnelRat

I have a relatively recent production Springfield Armory Range Officer (either 2014 or 2015). It's been rock solid and given me fewer issues (i.e. none) compared to the Colts, S&Ws, and SIGs I've owned and/or used. I've been very happy with it. But I'm just a sample of one.