1911 ?

lechiffre

All M1911s were originally blued. There was a switch from "bright" to "dull" blue during WWI. Parkerizing started during the Second World War, from some point new M1911A1s were Parkerized rather than blued. M1911s would have been Parkerized during a rebuild, and could have M1911A1 specific parts substituted.

Last edited:

JJ45

All M1911s were originally blued. There was a switch from "bright" to "dull" blue during WWI. Parkerizing started during the Second World War, from some point new M1911A1s were Parkerized rather than blued. M1911s would have been Parkerized during a rebuild, and could have M1911A1 specific parts substituted.
I always liked the look of the "greenish" colored park on 1911A1s...I have a Springfield Mil-Spec (civie) that is parked but is dark gray...were there variations in the park jobs as far as color when done by military arsenals?

JJ45 said:
...were there variations in the park jobs as far as color when done by military arsenals?
By "military arsenals," are you referring to the U.S. military arsenals that periodically refurbished USGI 1911s, or are you referring to the original manufacturers (which, for the M1911A1s that were parkerized) were NOT military arsenals, they were commercial manufacturers who made small arms for the government)?

T. O'Heir

"...the "greenish" colored park..." That's from long term storage in Cosmoline. There's no such thing as green Parkerizing.
Zinc based Parkerizing comes out in shades of grey. The actual shade depending on the steel it goes on. Manganese based Parkerizing comes out black.
As mentioned, the original finish on a 1911 or a 1911A1 would depend on when and where it was made. WWI M1911s were blued. WWII 1911A1s were Parkerized. Then there was the "Black Army" finish that was an unpolished blued finish that was flat(matt) vs shiny.
Rummage around here. http://www.historic-firearms.com/colt-m1911.html

RickB

Blued until 1941, mixed parkerized slide/frame and blued small parts for a while, then parked overall.
While blued guns were parkerized during rebuilds, not all guns were rebuilt; my M1911 was shipped from a government arsenal - Red River, I think - in the early '60s still in original blue.

Hammerhead

I always liked the look of the "greenish" colored park on 1911A1s..
All of the Navy A1 pistols I shot/carried in the 70's and 80's had the greenish look. Best looking of all the variants, or maybe just nostalgic preference for the good old days.

JJ45

"...the "greenish" colored park..." That's from long term storage in Cosmoline. There's no such thing as green Parkerizing.
Zinc based Parkerizing comes out in shades of grey. The actual shade depending on the steel it goes on. Manganese based Parkerizing comes out black.
As mentioned, the original finish on a 1911 or a 1911A1 would depend on when and where it was made. WWI M1911s were blued. WWII 1911A1s were Parkerized. Then there was the "Black Army" finish that was an unpolished blued finish that was flat(matt) vs shiny.
Rummage around here. http://www.historic-firearms.com/colt-m1911.html
T. This might sound silly and probably is but if someone stored a Springfield Mil-Spec A1 in cosmoline (frame and slide) could they get that greenish shade?

The question, of course, how long would it need to be stored ?...there are probably a lot of other ifs and buts concerning this question but I'm real curious if anyone has an answer.