1911 Therapy - is there anything to recommend to a grieving, former Valtro owner?

Pendragon

I am only half kidding.

Circa 2002, I bought a Valtro when I lived in CA and John Jardine was kind enough to customize the sights and safety (low profile, RH only). This was, for me, the perfect gun.

A year later I moved to Texas and fell on hard times. I ended up selling the Valtro for 50% more than I paid for it thinking when I got back on my feet, I would just buy another one.

Meanwhile, I am watching prices on the Valtro go crazy and the idea of getting another one just does not seem realistic.

So - can anyone out there recommend something roughly in the same class? I know who the usual suspects are in semi customs, but maybe there is something new I have not heard of (have not been keeping up the last few years).

I would like to find a nice 1911 in the $1500 range, but I am willing to go higher - to $2000 or so if I can get something well thought out, put together and unique.

In the mean time, I am looking at the Kimbers and Springfields and Wilson Combats and Les Baers and such - I am sure they make someting I would enjoy, but I liked the rare / esoteric / small quantity mystique of the Valtro...

Thanks

Kreyzhorse

Nice. Had never heard of Valtro before so you encouraged me to check them out. I'm, very, very sorry you no longer own it.

Perhaps a Springfield TRP might be a fine replacement? I'm sure the TRP isn't doesn't fit the exactly what you were looking for, but I'd guess its a very able replacement.

IanS

At that price range its gonna be tough tough tough to find something that equals the exclusivity of the Valtro's (though I can't speak to the quality since I've never owned or held one).

If you want the best semi-custom on the market today I'd nominate the Springfield Custom Professional or maybe C&S's Trident 1911 pistol but those go from $2500-3000 new. Or maybe just cut your losses and find a slightly used Baer for $1500 and a bunch of ammo.

hoytinak

Seeing how you're in Texas, what about the STI line? I've played with several 1911's in the $1000-2000 range and IMO the STIs are the smoothest, best made ones in that price range. The only thing I don't like about them is their finish is pretty weak/thin unless you pony up for the hard chrome.

Pendragon

Thanks for the suggestions everyone, I am going to look into those.

I like the STI guns, especially the LS sub compacts - while I am typically a "one guy" kind of guy, the LS9 looks to be a very nice secondary when you can't carry a larger weapon.

Also, before I got the Valtro, I was leaning strongly toward the TRP, so it might be the way to go.

Edit:

I think I am rapidly becoming a fan of the Ed Brown guns. They seem to offer the features and quality I am looking for at a price I can probably live with.

Last edited: