1911 survey.

12-34hom

I currently own a Para P-14 "limited" model in 45acp. I use this weapon for duty use and off duty as well.

It's exremely accurate & reliable. 45 acp is a great cartridge.. Too bad Para does not chamber one of these weapons in 10mm. That would be perfection.... :)

Lets hear about your 1911's.. AND THE SURVEY SAYS... :)

[This ones for you ArmySon ... :)]

[This message has been edited by 12-34hom (edited September 20, 2000).]

ArmySon

Staff Alumnus
Colt VFW 100th Anniversary 1911 Government
Colt .38 Super
Colt 1991A1
Colt Gold Cup (race gun)
Colt Tactical Level III
Springfield Loaded
Springfield Loaded Long Slide
Springfield V10
Les Baer Concept III (carry gun)
Les Baer Premier II
Wilson CQB (carry gun)
Wilson Sentinel
Steve Clark Custom ATP (my choice of components :) soon to be full time carry gun)
Para P-14 Limited

AndABeer

Kimber Gold Match
Kimber Pro Elite
Wilson Lightweight Protector (soon to retire as carry gun)
Springfield Armory Longslide V-16 in .45 Super

Mark King

For a carry gun I have a Colt Lightweight Officer's ACP which was customized by Scott, McDougal and Assoc. Very reliable and certainly accurate enough for it's chosen task. When a larger gun is needed I go to the full size Kimber Custom Classic which I modified to match the little Colt (Short trigger, arched MSH and slim stocks)
I carry the Colt in a Brommeland IWB and the Kimber in a Blade-Tech IWB. Mark / FL

whitebear

Charles Daly Field Grade Gov't - Play Gun
Springfield Armory SS Champion - Carry Gun

------------------
Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines...

John Forsyth

Kimber Classic Stainless Target, custom work by Advanced Combat Pistols. Competition gun
Kimber Classic Stainless, custom work by Advanced Combat Pistols. Carry gun
Colt 1991 .38 Super, being worked on by Advanced Combat Pistols. New toy.

Did I say I like Brian's work?

------------------
John

Ledbetter

Lew Horton/Colt Custom Shop Compensated Commander

Colt Officers' in bright stainless with Novak carry sights

Both in .45, of course.

Also two Colt Government .380's (micro-1911).

Regards,

Ledbetter

RikWriter

Have owned:
Kimbers-
(2)Classic Customs
Compact Aluminum
Pro Elite
Stainless Gold Match

All have been 100% reliable and the first Classic Custom and the Gold Match were (and are in the case of the Gold Match) incredibly accurate in my hands.

Colt:
Military-issue 1911A1 30s vintage
(2) 1991A1s
Series 70 Gold Cup
Series 80 Combat Govt
Officers stainless LW Limited Edition
O Series stainless LW Commander
O Series stainless Combat Commander
Series 70 Combat Commander

All were reliable, and the Gold Cup and the Combat Govt were very accurate, though not as accurate as my Kimber Gold Match. The Officers wasn't very accurate, at least for me. The O series guns were average accuracy wise.

Springfield Armory:
(2) Milspecs
Champion

All were reliable, but I didn't put THAT many rounds downrange on any of them. The Champion was uncomfortable and not very accurate.

Para-Ordnance:
(2) P12 alloy frames
Both were reliable, but the rear sight on the P12 Limited came loose and was badly-designed. Both were accurate enough, nothing spectacular. Both very comfortable to shoot.

BrokenArrow

Have had several from Colts, series 70 and 80, several from Springfield Armory (including two TRPS), a Clark custom (Colt series 70). Uncle Sam issued me several M1911A1s (one was a Remington).

Nice guns all, but none of them as reliable as the out of the box w everything as the Glocks, SIGs, Berettas and Rugers I've had. Or the issue M9/M11s.

Must be me? :)

------------------
>>>>---->
http://home.att.net/~brokenarrrow/

Dave D

A Novak tuned stainless Kimber compact with Lo-Mount bar dot sights, Wilson cocobolo grips and stainless mags. Beautiful, reliable little pistol.

Gewehr98

1. Caspian Officer's ACP - bobbed 3.5" ramped, polished, and throated Kart NM barrel, tapered cone lockup threaded to barrel w/muzzle flange, McCormick carbon fiber trigger, Ed Brown beavertail, ambi high-thumb safety, McCormick hammer and sear, Mec-Gar mags, Dirty Dick combat fixed sights (improvement on Novak design), assembled, dehorned, and parkerized by Dick Bancroft (Dirty Dick).
2. Norinco 5-inch "Gook Cup" IPSC/IDPA Limited Class gun, Norinco frame and slide, throated and polished Kart NM barrel, NM bushing, Videcki lockwork, low-mount Bomar rear sight, Ed Brown two-piece guide rod, checkered flat mainspring housing, high-thumb safety, rails peened. Assembled, dehorned, and parkerized by Dirty Dick.
3. Norinco 5-inch "Bedsider" (my wife's), Norinco frame and slide, Springfield barrel, Videcki lockwork, checkered flat mainspring housing, GI recoil spring, plunger, and barrel bushing. Novak combat sights. Assembled and parkerized by Dirty Dick.

(pictures on request, they can really hog down this server)

Gunslinger

I don't own one but my dream 1911 is a Para 14 with a 7" long slide mounted on top. Saturday I saw a Para-14 with a Caspian upper and Millet sights that was close enough for $550. Now if I could only convince Terri I need it after just getting two new (to me) Smith 9MM's (thread in General at: http://www.thefiringline.com:8080/forums/showthread.php?threadid=39270 )I'll be in business. But I'm not holding my breath. :D

Whitebear, welcome to TFL. :)

------------------
Gunslinger

I was promised a Shortycicle and I want a Shortycicle!

Dr.Rob

Staff Alumnus
1951 Vintage Lightweight Commander. This one went to Korea with the first owner and I'm the second. My college graduation present. Totally stock except for replacing the bakelite grips.

Colt 1991A1 Upper/ODI Seecamp DA Lower in Parkerized stainless. 17.5 lb wolf spring, houge monogrip, wilson beavertail. All work done by qualitie pistol and revolver. Next mod: low profile sights.

Both in 45 acp naturally.

loknload

Never have been really crazy on the 1911 but I own two
1. Military issue 1911A1 Remington Rand
2. Springfield Armory V12
Thats what I got ;)

------------------
We preserve our freedoms by using four boxes: soap,ballot,jury, and cartridge.
Anonymous

I like shooting them (Kimbers and Springfields), but I don't ever plan on owning one. These are great guns but here is my reservation: I like guns that are simple to disasemble, and maybe I am just not mechanically inclined but I have a hell of a time field stripping 1911's.

Walt Sherrill

Norinco. All the whistles and bells added by a good 1911 gunsmith before I got it. I added Meprolight night sights and an extended mag well.

Great gun, and remarkably inexpensive, considering.

thanatos

My carry gun is a ParaOrdnance P14 loaded w/ 185grn Corbon's; not quite 10mm power, but close enough. Have thought about building a 10mm, but this P14 is 100% reliable - why mess with it? Briley spherical bushing; Dlask trigger; Wilson hammer, sear, safety; S & A arched mainspring housing; Brown grip safety; Clark sear spring; Hogue rubber grip; & NO series 80 safety!!!
P10 usually resides in the door panel pocket in my p/u, loaded w/ Silvertips (most reliable in this gun). Similar parts, but obviously no Briley bushing, & S & A grip safety.
Springfield built the same as the P14.

Have built several P14's for friends, generally the same as mine > one Limited that I found I HATE the rear sight on: it hangs over the end of the slide, prints when concealed, and drags on clothing; got rid of the ambi' safety. A lesson learned!!! Will always start w/ standard P14's from now on.