1911 Suggestions

Single Six

Calling all Government Model fans: I'm thinking about buying my first-ever 1911. Since Ruger does'nt make a Government Model [not yet,anyway],I'm leaning towards the Taurus. Sure,I'd like a Kimber or a Wilson,but those are out of my price range. Does anyone have any experience with the Taurus they can share? I'm wondering how reliable you have found them to be,particularly with factory hollow-points. I'm also open to suggestions on other brands if they're in the same price range. Two caveats: My 1911 has to have an ambi-safety since I'm left-handed..also prefer a stainless steel finish. As ever,thanks in advance,guys.

41mag10mm

Single 6 - Do you have a price range in mind and are you set on new in box or would a used good condition pistol be ok if it were a better brand?

HDTVSELLER

I like my pt1911 ss myself. I was able to get mine around 2 months ago and since have put 425 total rounds and 200 was the winchester sxz hps and had flawless operation. So far no complaints it has a heck of a trigger job right out of the box. And for $696.00 out the door i can't complain... but i got mine with the novak sights and enjoy them also. On that note this is my first taurus handgun and i also have a springfield 1911a1 and i pick this one to carry mostly over the a1 just due to the lighter trigger pull. both are great 1911s though.

toyman69

I just got one in 38 super, and I have shot a friend 45 acp and both are excelent guns for the money. neither has had any feed issues.but they are still low on the round count yet mine is under 500 and my friends is under 1000. but for a low end 1911 they work well.

Single Six

41Mag10mm: I do prefer new,if possible. The price range does have a little leeway;$500-$650 sounds about right. As far as better brands,I confess that I'm lost on that one. I'm no gun neophyte by any means,but I'm a babe in the woods when it comes to Mr. Browning's masterpiece. I need all the help I can get on this one! Which brands are,in your opinion,a better value?

Les Maynard

I picked up another 1911 today. It is my fourth one this year. I wish I had them years ago instead of wheel guns. MY new one is a Kimber Eclipse Custom II, my advise is try some, and you will know which one is right for you. :cool:

erob3

If you're not opposed to a 9mm in the 1911 version Taurus has finally released their's. I currently have another posting looking for info on it. That may be of help to you.

KRP

how about the Para GI Expert? Lot of features and just prettier:eek: to my eye than the Taurus.

41mag10mm

Personally I'm a fan of the original - Colt. Therefore I almost always recommend Colts when and if the circumstances are right. There are a number of fine 1911 manufacturers, Sig, S&W, Kimber, Springfield and STI to name a few. You can also look at the more budget minded options from Springfield, Taurus, and Rock Island (RIA) that have good solid reputations but maybe less whiz bang features. You should be able to narrow your choices down based on costs, features you want and features you don't.

Here's what I would do if I were you. First, go to gunbroker.com and search in the auto pistol section for 1911. That will give you an idea about what both new and used pistols are available and thieir relative costs. Next, either take a trip to your local gun store, or better to a gun show, and look at the manufacturers you're most interested in. There's also the option of heading to a range that rents guns to shoot some examples.

If you keep an open mind you might very well end up with a better example if used than a brand new budget gun.

I recently purchased a Springfield GI Champion which is the budget end of the scale. My intent was to get a good serviceable weapon I could carry daily and not worry about beating up or holster wear. It's as plain as can be with a dull parkerized finish, but the dang thing shoots every time I pull the trigger. :D

41mag10mm

I'll add on thing to consider. I called Springfield to discuss a minor issue with my new GI a few days after I got it. The gun would not go into battery when I loaded a full mag and pulled the slide back to release. It would jam the bullet into the feed ramp and I'd have to bump the slide a few times before it would feed. Now, I went to the range and expect a lot of jamming problems, but it never did, even with 185 JHP. It only occured in the beginning and has since lessoned to a great degree. Anyway, I got right through to Springfield customer service and was handled very quickly and professionally. I spoke with a gunsmith in the CS department and found that the feeding issue would go away as the magazine got a little broken is as well. I've heard, not experienced, some negatives about Taurus customer service.

Slamfire

STI Spartan. A great gun for around $600. Not stainless though.

Got to shoot one of those at the range. The frame to slide fit was tight. Had the beavertail, adjustable sights, ported, throated, etc. The trigger was good and the guy who owned it said it was reliable. I watched him shoot at least 100 rounds, every hand load went bang.

I was impressed. A lot of 1911 for the money.

rdmallory

Had good luck with my pt1911 I have owned two. Did change out the hammer and sear to remove the lock. I was having issues with it turning and locking the hammer.

Doug

Hitme

I bought a PT1911 Stainless Steel .45 from Bass Pro Shop last year for $550.00. I've put 200 rounds through it (JHP and FMJ). It hit where I aimed and had zero failures). What more could you ask for?

condition_ONE

IMO for the price range get a Rock Island. My dad had a few Taurus guns a while back and every single one of them was crap as far as accuracy was concerned.

Bulldawg55

I've got several 1911's. I like my S.A. GI as much as My S.A. Mil spec, My Kimber Eclipse II Target or my Para CCW. When I line up those tiny sights the thing is on the money! If your eyes are not too good the Mil Spec has larger sights with white dots.

45Gunner

Friends that have 1911's don't let other friends by a Taurus.

There are far more superior guns; a lot in the same price range, a few for a few dollars less, and a bunch more for higher dollars.

iblong

I have three a Colt,Ria and a Taurus.The Colt is my favorite ,The Ria runs out well And the Taurus has about 6,000 hand loads through it and is more accurate than the Colt or Ria It also has the best trigger of the 3.I would have no problem buying another Ria or Taurus.YMMV.