1911 Springs - when to change them ...

BigJimP

I always forget ....so I called Wilson Combat this morning ....and they advised every 5,000 rds on Firing Pin springs / and 2,000 rds on recoil springs.

I've been neglectful .....:(

and a tip on the firing pin springs - they reminded me ( there is a small end and a larger end -- the smaller end, goes on first ) or you may have some issues with firing pins sticking.. The Firing Pin Springs are the same / in all of their guns whether its a 9mm or a .45 acp ....but the recoil spring recommendations vary from 13 lbs on the 9mm to 16 lbs - 18 lbs on their .45 acp's. I like the 13 lb springs in my 9mm's / and I like my 5" .45 acps with 16 lb recoil springs.

rsxr22

Yup ive definitely been neglecting my TRP, however she still is working just fine! I might swap them out now though, i have been waiting for something to happen to get some rebuild spring kits from EB. I wanted to get a few to justify the shipping and so ill have the parts lying around for later issues.

KyJim

Recommendations vary a bit. I've always heard 3,000 rounds for recoil spring, twice that for FP springs.

Sturmgewehre

I shoot every weekend usually, at least every other weekend. I almost always shoot my pet 1911. I change my recoil spring every 3-4 years, if it needs it or not. :) I usually fire FAR more than 5,000 rounds in this time period given I shoot at least 300-500 rounds every time I go to the range.

I only change it because I think "maybe I should swap this out", not because any issue arise.