1911 slide

P71pilot

You can either send your slide off to be milled, or buy a slide already cut, new slide would need fitted to your frame, a barrel and bushing fitted. Would be best to send your slide to a reputable 1911 gunsmith who has such tooling

If you plan to check Caspian, wait for a couple of weeks. At the moment, most of the front office is in Las Vegas at the annual SHOT Show, so there's nobody back home to answer such questions. The show runs through Friday, but give them a few days to get home and get back in the saddle.

Jeryray

Thanks for the leads. Here in NY, the last think I wish to do is send my .45 anywhere.

Would like to buy a slide cut and ready to go.

HiBC

Many slides will require fitting. I'd expect it.

The point I'd like to offer you is that you don't have to ship your gun.The frame is the serial numbered component..."The gun"
The slide is a part. You can just send the slide.

Hunter Customs

If your Colt is a Series 70 yes it can be milled for a low mount reflex sight such as a Doctor sight.
If you Colt is a Series 80 no you can't do the low mount cut because of the Series 80 parts interference.

Best Regards
Bob Hunter

Jeryray

Plain Govt MKIV slide.
I would like to keep the original slide, because some matches insist on Iron sights.

I do much better with the Delta point pro on my .22, .38, 9mm

Hunter Customs

mvc-013f-7-16-2010.jpg

This is what a low mount application looks like.

Best Regards
Bob Hunter

Hunter Customs

Yes I did machine the sight cut and yes the slide is drilled and tapped so the sight can be mounted directly to the slide.
When I was in the business I did a lot of low mount sight applications, there's several pictured on my website.
The sight is a Doctor sight which in my opinion was the best made at the time and still may be.

Best Regards
Bob Hunter

Hunter Customs

mvc-004f-7-16-2010.jpg

Here's a better picture of a low mount reflex sight application.
Don't let the ears in the back fool you on the depth of the cut as they've been cut down to clear the adjustment screws of the sight.
The milled sight cut is 0.250 deep.

Best Regards
Bob Hunter

Hunter Customs

I didn't realize that a 1911 had a full quarter of an inch you could carve out and still have a functional slide.

Yep, actually more then 0.250 can be milled from the 1911 slide but I don't.
The cut I made sets the reflex sight plenty low enough on the slide plus leaves plenty of slide to drill and tap for the two mounting screws of the sight.
Milling the pocket for the sight in the slide reduces the fore and aft movement of the sight reducing stress on the sight mounting screws.

Best Regards
Bob Hunter

Jeryray

Nice work.

Caspien has the Delta point cut information in their database and will prepare their slide for my deltapoint.

SO I am slowly getting the parts together.

Thanks for the help.

Hunter Customs

Wow Bob, you have built some good looking guns. I bet they are smooth shooters.

Thank you for the compliment on the guns I've built.
Yes they were smooth and accurate.
The first gun I pictured with the long slide and Tribrid barrel shot groups so small it would make a bullseye shooter envious.

Best Regards
Bob Hunter