1911 slide

STAGE 2

Who makes a good forged 1911 slide? I don't want some hokey double serrations or anything like that. Just a good forged slide for a custom built.

I saw that brownells sells genuine colt series 70's blued slides and that seemed like a great idea until I saw the price. At 300 and change thats almost double everything else.

Bill DeShivs

Stage
Why does it have to be forged? Most are simply machined out of bar stock.
Cast is fine, too. Most automotive pistons are cast aluminum, and (think about this) they go up/stop/down/stop, etc. MUCH faster than any pistol slide. Why would anyone think a properly investment cast 1911 slide would wear out?
BTW-Sarco had some Brazilian slides a while back.

Bill

STAGE 2

Sorry. Has to be forged. Real world it might not make any bit of difference, but I simply prefer it. As a result, caspian is out of the question.

nass

Machined

If forged is not an option, then Machined is your next best bet. In some respects that may be better because it does not get the inherent residual stresses leftover from the forging operation.

Any machined part can be heat treated after it is done, but you best be certain of the implications that leads to. Case hardening and hydrogen brittlement are a real factor in heat treatment and that could lead to premature failures in the impact loading a slide goes through.

STAGE 2

Not more than $200. I checked the les baer website, but I didn't see anythgin that didnt have front serrations.

joecad

try essex arms... i got a new commander parkerized slide for $145.00. fits my springer mil spec perfectly.

joecad

it has rear cocking serrations only. the color matches my springer....except for the fact that there are no markings on it it would pass for a springer.
rear site cuts offered are standard, bomar and novak.

badbob

Caspian machines slides from our own pre-heat treated, certified forgings. We machine them hard to insure dimensional stability. Caspian offers more options than anyone so you can get the exact slide you want.

Specify Caliber: 45acp, 38s/9mm, 40sw/10mm
Retail: $213.25