1911 slide cutouts...

Koda94

What are the slide cutouts for on a 1911?

Occasionally I will notice custom work done including cutouts in the slide over the barrel area, then I recall that at least one production gun... Smith and Wesson makes a production gun with slide cutouts. So I go to its web page and it doesn't appear to be related to a ported barrel. So whats the point? Seems like it would just expose the internals to debris collection.

http://www.smith-wesson.com/firearms/performance-center-model-sw1911-1

44 AMP

Staff
The linked S&W site describes them a "slide lighting cuts", so I'd say that's what they are. Though I would have said "lightening".

The point is to reduce the slide weight. It also said the purpose of the gun was competition shooting, enthusiast, and state compliance.

So, its a "game gun", set up a certain way. Why they make it that way is anyone's guess, give them a call and ask, I suppose...

RickB

My 6" gun has holes in the slide to lighten it to approximately the same weight as a 5" gun.
Heavy slides can be sluggish, especially with the lighter recoil springs used in competition. The same amount of weight could perhaps be removed from the inside of the slide if someone didn't like the look of the holes.
On a short gun, I wouldn't want the slide lightened.

Koda94

ah... I didn't scroll down enough to catch the competition, enthusiast, compliance "purpose" part... but regardless its a 5" Govt size 1911... I didn't know "needed" lightening. So this is purely cosmetic only for enthusiasts...

tipoc

It would make for an overall lighter gun. 40.5 ozs vs. 41.2 ozs or so.

The speed of the slide in recoil would increase so you'd need a different weight recoil spring from standard to insure proper functioning.

It's not for porting so it's just for looks and an overall lighter gun by less than an ounce or so.

Also more places to clean powder residue from for those that really get into cleaning guns.

tipoc

KyJim

I would think a heavier slide would be better for competition. After all, that's a primary reason many folks give for preferring a full length guide rod. It allows faster follow-up shots.

WVsig

I would think a heavier slide would be better for competition. After all, that's a primary reason many folks give for preferring a full length guide rod. It allows faster follow-up shots.
Heavier guns also slow your swing from one target to another. I can feel the difference between my CZ Shadow II which is a tank vs a 75B.

RickB

Conventional wisdom goes through phases.
Fifteen years ago, the USPSA hot shots were running full-length dustcovers and heavy slides, then, a couple of years later, everyone was running ported slides to reduce weight.
Longslides with 6" barrels have been fairly popular right along, but I've seen them with and without slide lightening.

A not-very-good pic of my 6" gun with lightening holes. It was pretty exotic in 2001, not so much, today.

Attachments

• 228595_220403031303325_27183_n.jpg
    228595_220403031303325_27183_n.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 23

KyJim

Heavier guns also slow your swing from one target to another. I can feel the difference between my CZ Shadow II which is a tank vs a 75B.
Fair point. I wonder, though, if those shooting a 1911 with a lightened slide also have a full length guide rod. :rolleyes:

RickB

Static weight and reciprocating weight are not the same thing.

A gun with a ventilated slide and FLGR would weigh about the same as one with a solid slide and G.I. guide rod.
There are shooters who would have a preference for either one.

It's common to "move weight around" to balance the gun.
A buddy has a gun with aluminum frame but heavy parts attached, while another has a steel frame and lightweight small parts.