1911 sights for a IPSC gun

mwar410

now I was thinking the other way as the other post. I have a 80's series gold cup that I would like to take the eliasons' off and put on sights that are better for ipsc shoots. Just playing around and don't want any optics, any ideas?

Jim Watson

Depends largely on what you think is "better."
I never had any problems with the supposedly fragile Elliasons on the two Gold Cups and Ace that I owned; although the .22 Ace did kick its front sight loose.

I would leave the Elliason where it is and put a fibre optic front sight on, although I read of at least some shooters going back to black sights.

If you want something fancier, Wilson makes a Bomar-ish sight to fit.

RickB

I have a Series 80 Gold Cup slide on a gun, and both the elevation and windage "mechanisms" broke within 500 rounds of each other. I ran it with the adjustment screws loctited in place for a year or more. It was replaced with a Wilson Combat sight made for just that purpose, but it does require milling the slide, and it has a "Series 80" location, overhanging the rear of the slide, that not everyone will like.

mwar410

by " better" i mean the abililty for faster target aquisition. I don't think there is anything wrong with the target sights, I figured they were for shooting bullseye.

Ken O

In my opinion, the back sight doesn't matter that much in IPSC. And, if your younger the black sight is probably just fine.

I'm in my 60's and I have problem picking up the front sight fast, so the fiber optics help me.

When your running and gunning, the close targets are your front sight and the pistols front sight is the rear.

The problem I have had with the front sight is the JM 625 front sight which is a gold bead. The gold is the same color as the target and I couldn't tell them apart. Maybe its my old eyes, but JM has no problem. I put a SDM fiber optic on it.

waltfraz

I had a caspian 1911 that had a rear peep sight and it was really quite nice to shot with.I don't know who made it but I would buy one and put it on another one of my guns I never saw one on hand gun before.

I'd be interested to learn who made that, too. Jeff Cooper experimented with pistol ghost ring sights at one time, but found it didn't work well for him at speed the way the rifle and shotgun versions do.

I've handled guns with the express sights, and find they are faster to acquire from the presentation than anything else I've tried. They are, however, also less precise. That just has to be shooter's preference, there. They do eliminate losing the front sight to one side of a tight rear notch or another, which can happen if you get a poor grip position during the presentation or didn't get it back correctly after a mag change on a gun that makes you shift your grip to hit the mag release.

I have also dealt with two Eliason sight self-disassemblies on the only two Goldcups I've had. The solid elevation pivot pin kept working its way out during firing on my Series '70 GC, and a roll pin substitution stopped that. I briefly owned a stainless Series '80 GC that had the elevation detent pin pop out and disappear in the grass. I don't have a lot of faith in those sights, though the old Series '70 still has his.

GA Limited GM

Highly recommend Bo-Mars on the rear with a Dawson Precision Fiber-optic on the front.

When I first started competing an old guy gave me this advice. "Watch what the guys who are winning are doing. If you're doing it much different.....you're wrong." Been good advice so far. ;)

Ken O

I have the Bo-Mars on my 1911 and like it.
I don't believe Bo-Mar is in business anymore. I think someone is making a knock-off. Maybe someone that knows will comment.

To me the Bo-mars are important on the Bullseye gun, and not that important on the IPSC/IDPA.

GA Limited GM

Ken-o....you're correct about Bo-Mar going out. One close copy is STI's. They had some problems with an early batch breaking, but I think thats over. Anyone know different, speak up.

Slopemeno

A Wichita will cover the Elliason factory cut. A Bomar leaves the front part of the cut exposed, though I've heard of a Wilson that has a tab to cover that.