1911 sans safety?

chris in va

Had a Glock for a while. I know the 1911 is a straight pull design, but wouldn't it be possible to design a trigger safety that could eliminate the thumb one? Maybe it's been done but not aware of it.

WC145

Personally, I like the 1911 the way it is and the last thing in the world I'd do to one is try to make it more "Glock-like", I don't like or shoot Glocks and don't see any benefit to that.
However, you could just remove the thumb safety, it wasn't part of the original design, and you'd still have the grip safety and half cock.

9x19

Had a Glock for a while. I know the 1911 is a straight pull design, but wouldn't it be possible to design a trigger safety that could eliminate the thumb one? Maybe it's been done but not aware of it.

Single action with glock-style trigger safety? See the HS2000, aka Springfield XD... of course later, they added a thumb safety to the XDM. :D

Nakanokalronin

Thumb safeties are usually on single action semi-autos. The 1911, Browning HP, Kimber Solo, XD (as an option), etc.... This is due to the short pull that does a single action. A Glock is technically a double action since it continues the rearward pull of the striker before releasing it.

The XD just releases the striker which is why a thumb safety is an option. The reason why it's an option is because the grip safety actually does what the thumb safety on a 1911 does which is block the sear. The trigger safety does what the grip safety does a 1911 which is to block the trigger from moving rearward. The trigger also does an addition function like an 80 series 1911 which is to move the firing pin/striker block out of the way.

the TT-33 dosn't incorporate a thumb safety but its suppose to be carried either chamber empty or hammer down. the FCG is set up to keep the hammer away from the firing pin while carrying so you would need to cock it before firing. Trying to do this quickly several time with my TT-33 has proven to be awkward at best.

It would be hard to find a single action gun with no manual/passive safeties that would block the sear that is also set-up to be safely carried cocked and locked.

1911s are my #1 handgun and I've trained with them enough to sweep the safety off instinctively and I'll even sweep the area of guns without a thumb safety simply because it's second nature. This dosn't hinder my abilities at all with any other semi-auto and since I also shoot thumbs forward it all blends nicely.

I know there are lots of people that scoff at thumb safeties but it just takes practice.

Uncle Malice

Single action with glock-style trigger safety? See the HS2000, aka Springfield XD... of course later, they added a thumb safety to the XDM.

There is no thumb safety on an XDM... there are XD45 models that have the thumb safety.

Shotgun693

Originally the 1911 was designed without a thumb safety. Browning believed that the grip safety was plenty. Military thinking was still in the Indian War mode. The idea was that Cavalry would carry the 1911 with an empty chamber. When needed the gun would be drawn, the slide worked to chamber a round, then if the gun was reholstered it would be safe because of the grip safety. The Army insisted on some type of manual safety. The Glock safety is pretty much a copy of an Iver Johnson 1897 'Trigger Safety'.

9x19

There is no thumb safety on an XDM... there are XD45 models that have the thumb safety.

DOH! :eek:

You are of course correct, I'll go sit in the corner for a bit... call me when dinner is ready? :D

Uncle Malice

Haha. We all experience a little mental flatulence every once in a while. ;)

Side Note: I am just finishing up a 5 gallon pot of my famous(and award winning) chili for my employers chili cook-off tomorrow. Anyone in the Phoenix area is welcomed to come have a bite.

AK103K

Originally the 1911 was designed without a thumb safety. Browning believed that the grip safety was plenty.
Wasnt that the other way around? I thought the government required the grip safety to be added.

lee n. field

Now quite what you're looking for, but Colt New Agent DAO.

O7810DA.png

I know, I know. :eek:"BLASPHEMY!":eek:

chris in va

Originally the 1911 was designed without a thumb safety. Browning believed that the grip safety was plenty.

That's what I'm getting at. The thumb safety on a 1911 seems a bit redundant with the grip safety in place.

Sometimes I just sit around and daydream about stuff like this. "What if...". Of course the ideal handgun would have a SA straight pull with no safety to get in the way, and it just seems like a Glock-style trigger block would work well.

Still getting used to the thumb safety on my 97b. Can you tell?:cool:

StrangeBird1911

grip safety and holster strap

Before I started shooting, I inherited an old 1911 in a holster. Shot it a few times, kept it in the holster. After I learned more about it, I realized that I was putting the holster strap across the grip safety. I experimented with a dry fire (pointed in a safe direction, of course), and I could fire the gun in the holster. Then I realized that the strap could be placed between the hammer and the firing pin (when the gun cocked), and then it would not fire. Keep that in mind.

drail

The grip safety only blocks the trigger. That's all it does. The thumb safety locks the sear and hammer.

BUFF

I had a Colt series 80 that had the grip safety that was "bypassed". I say bypassed because i'm not sure what they did to it to make it that way, gunsmith wise. But all it had was a thumb safety that was operational. Seems that's all it needed.