1911 revival

Koda94

is it just me or is everyone noticing a revival in 1911 production?

Seems like in just the last couple years 1911 production guns are growing and more offerings are available, noticeably in general production manufacturers like Springfield Armory and Remington and also in double stack 1911s such as the new Remington's. Another noteworthy is more options in production 10mm's as well as concealed carry options like the Springfield's Elite Compact.

How does this happen are people calling in and asking these companies to offer more? Have sales in general been on the steady rise so they responded with more offerings?

While the 1911 has obviously held a solid place in Americas heart, it just seems like recently there are suddenly way more options available than before, the old gun is not fading away in history its adapting and keeping up.

9ballbilly

I think consumer sales, in general, are cyclical. Someone introduces a new
"wonder whatever-it-is" and there is an initial rush of sales while what's tried and true sits on store shelves. Eventually, the novelty wears off and sales swing in the other direction.

As for 1911's, they sell. Sometimes more, sometimes less.

Is that a revival?.......Well hell, I ended up buying two this week.

JMag1

Well, there’s something to be said for American steel, and Alcoa aluminum.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I think the 1911 production has always been there and you just weren't paying attention. There's very little new in the 1911 universe if you've been following it. Even Remington's "new" double stacks aren't new. Remington bought ParaUSA a few years ago, killed off the double stacks, and now they're bringing them (a few of them) back. Sadly, they're not bringing back any models I'd be interested in, and the quality seems to be inferior to Para-Ordnance and ParaUSA, but at least they are making double stacks again.

vba

I don't believe 1911 sales have ever dropped significantly over the years.

They are an excellent carry, range and target gun. I do see more offerings in 9mm and other calibers than ever before.

Last edited:

shafter

1911's seem to remain especially popular in states that restrict magazine capacity. The 1911 and 45acp are a timeless pair. They'll be around for awhile.

otasan

True. There are now more makers of M1911s than ever before. Who would have thought that Dan Wesson and Sturm Ruger would make 1911s? Or Sig Sauer?

Model12Win

No matter how much polymer, worthless "extra rounds", or rails they throw out, the M1911A1 warsman's pistol will and forever will be the greatest, most effective battle handgun in human history. PERIOD.

muzzleblast...

True. There are now more makers of M1911s than ever before. Who would have thought that Dan Wesson and Sturm Ruger would make 1911s? Or Sig Sauer?

I was appalled to when some years ago S&W announced they were introducing a 1911. I love my S&Ws and Colts, but a S&W branded 1911 just seemed so wrong. I'm over it now. Still haven't bought one tho.

I think the resurgence in 1911 popularity goes back to the mid-90s when it seemed every other gun rag in the magazine rack featured a 1911 on the cover. I think Kimber can be credited with proving that nice semi-custom production line 1911s could be viably marketed as a real alternative to the dominant Colts.

DaleA

Well, there sure are a LOT of them (1911 manufacturers) out there.

I think the Philippines folk have had a significant impact too. Low cost, no frills, 1911's for the masses.

They've even brought back the old Llama name. I wonder though about Llama. I suspect they just jacked up the name plate and slid a whole nother pistol under it.

Koda94

I think the 1911 production has always been there and you just weren't paying attention. There's very little new in the 1911 universe if you've been following it. Even Remington's "new" double stacks aren't new. Remington bought ParaUSA a few years ago, killed off the double stacks, and now they're bringing them (a few of them) back. Sadly, they're not bringing back any models I'd be interested in, and the quality seems to be inferior to Para-Ordnance and ParaUSA, but at least they are making double stacks again.
your right I'm not fully paying attention, I always thought Para-USA was still selling their line of doublestacks because their website is still up. It does make a difference if they stopped making them but I was assuming Remington was adding to the double stack market and keeping the Para line going under its own name.

Still, it just seems like there are more 1911 options available today from more companies and I like it. If Im wrong and they've been here all along then it just shows that an original design over a 100 years old and giving the sea of plastic guns a run for their money, modern plastic designs didn't really solve a broken wheel.

http://para-usa.com/2013/firearms/tactical/blackOps1911.php

Last edited:

jmr40

I forgot about the S&W M1911.

Lots of people do and that is too bad. It is one of the better versions for the money. Lots of folks don't like the external extractor, but it just plain works.

Slamfire

They've even brought back the old Llama name. I wonder though about Llama. I suspect they just jacked up the name plate and slid a whole nother pistol under it.

Looked at a LLama, it is a filipino pistol. Same as the Rock Island, just different safety, sights, trigger, trim. The Llama was very tight, the trigger was not as good as my Rock Island. No doubt same manufacturer, different brand name.

Cabelas had these on sale for $399.99. With a hundred dollar gift card I got it down to $30.00. This 1911 is between Kimber and Les Baer tight which is absolutely amazing. It was much tighter than the new production $850 Colt GI. The trigger is excellent.

gtPckYj.jpg

The double stack models are too big for my hands and if they are like my Beretta, painful to load the magazine. I had to buy a LULU for the M92.

Koda94 said:
Still, it just seems like there are more 1911 options available today from more companies and I like it.
There's no question that more companies are making 1911s than probably ever before, but the title of the thread was "1911 revival." "Revival" connotes a resurrection of interest that had died off. I don't think interest in the 1911 ever died off. The market for the 1911 has always been strong, and that's what continues to attract new (and established, such as SIG and S&W) companies to make them.