1911 Recoil spring

azredhawk44

16 is standard, some folks go 18 if they shoot warmer handloads or +p routinely.

I've used Wolff for replacement springs in magazines, as well as revolver spring kits and automatic spring kits. Never had a bad spring from them, and they seem to last quite well.

Never used a Wilson or any other brand spring. Can't say anything bad about them... just never been disappointed by Wolff.

XD45Sooner

Seems like all the 16 pound wolff springs are sold out right now. I could get a 17 pound spring...would that make much difference? I will be shooting 98% standard 230 grain ball ammo out of this gun

madmag

17 lb. should be Ok. I like the variable rate springs at about 16.5 lbs from Wolff.

Check your ejection distance. Should be 5 ft. or so. If the casing just barely eject out and fall to the ground you know the spring rate is too high.

john in jax

I like Wolff springs, been using them for all kinds of guns for a long time.

I like a 18# springs, for some reason they just seem to work best in the 1911's I own(ed).

madmag

I should have mentioned. I have used up to 18#, but the ejection was a little weak. If you shoot Fiocchi, S&B, or American eagle FMJ it will be a little better. These are hotter than normal FMJ loads.

Technosavant

16 is normal, 18 not out of the question. Wolff makes good springs, I currently have a 18# ISMI in my carry 1911 (it tends to like stronger recoil springs).

LHB1

FYI, Wilson Combat recoil springs are made by Wolff. Standard recoil spring for 5" 1911 is 16#. I run 16# Wolff springs in all my 5" guns, including the Wilsons.

Stone Cold

Depends on a couple things. Your mainspring weight, and whether you use an extended ejector, as well as ammo come to mind.

When I shoot full power loads, I use an 18# spring. But then, I use 19# mainsprings and extended ejectors in all my pistols. If I go to reduced target loads, I use a lighter spring. However, I won't change from an extra power spring in my carry piece.