1911 purchase

KyJim

I generally don't recommend a three inch barreled pistol for someone's first 1911. They can be somewhat temperamental (most are not) and do have a fair amount of muzzle flip. I would recommend a five inch or even the Commander size (4.25 inches). Dan Wesson, Smith and Wesson, Springfield, Colt, and STI all make quality 1911s cheaper than Baer. Baers are actually good values for what you get.

SPUSCG

I fired one bear, and it was the softest shooting .45 id ever shot. Excellent gun. The grip was just so confortable. Thing was even going 100% with the guys lead cast reloads.

Depends on what reason(s) of your purchase. Either one of those purchases would benefit my local economy so no skin off my nose...

As much as I'm a Springfield fan, I do wonder why you'd consider a production gun over a Les Baer...

javabum

The reason for a production gun over the baer is the price.I cant justify the extra grand to the wife if i can find something that's as reliable.I know with the baer i am getting exactly what i pay for and holds its value but.
As for muzzle flip,not a concern.
What i would like to know is are these guns reliable.

Emerson

If you're looking for a totally reliable 1911, I would not recommend a compact of any brand. If you want to save money but still have the reliability of a Baer my personal recommendation would be a 5" Springfield "Loaded".

cwb

i had a les baer trs and it was the softest shooting 1911 i have owned and it was a great gun

BLUEZ4U

I would go for the Springfield Loaded, or the the Colt Stainless G-Cup.

With the Colt I believe it will hold and increase it's value.

Just my 2 cents

shepherddogs

Listen to Emerson and stay away from the shorty 1911s. Commander size is as small as I would go. The 1911 micro guns are prone to all sorts of feeding problems.

my buddy has one of those springer micro operators. never jams.

question is, what do you need a 1911 for? if it's for rangetime, you don't want the micro. lotta blast/recoil. however, this one would be great for carry.

or you can split the difference and get a Les Baer comanche size (4.25inch i think), great for range, and not bad for carry (although any steel commander size 1911 is going to be a little heavy for carry, especially if you're not a big guy). :)

javabum

Actually it will be for carry.And the occasional range for practice.I currently have a 40 but thought it would be nice to have a 1911.The problem with the full size is the weight.I am a decent size guy but why carry such a big gun if i can get away with a smaller gun.
I am not worried with muzzle flip or the other things that go with a small gun.
I have no problem with controlling it.I have wanted a 1911 for a while,so if i am going to get one i want to be able to carry it.So a full size is bit to much for all day carry.

redrick

There is a nice Dan Wesson CCO on gunbroker now for $1390.00, One just sold for $1100 last week. If they made it in SS that would be my next 1911.

javabum

Funny you mentioned the EMP.when i was looking for a gun for the wife it was one we were considering.But she would rather have a revolver.Nothing like simplicity i guess.

Any ways,thanks for the help guys.

rjs

1911's

From your posts I question weather or not you have actually fired a round from a 1911 style handgun. If not, try one or as many as possible. Different barrel lengths if possible. Then decide if they are the gun for you. I like the full size best (LB P-II) for most of my shooting. I like my S&W 4.25" SC for carry. OACP is going on the chopping block for an LB TRC. Good luck on your quest.

RickB

I would not equate purchase price with certainty of reliable function. The (M)1911 will work if the dimensions and tolerances are correct, but a lot of boutique makers have substituted different, "better" specs and tolerances that may or may not result in a more reliable gun. You should have to shoot 10,000 rounds before one gun demonstrates any sort of obvious reliability advantage anyway, and that's a lifetime of shooting for some people, so it's not like a trip to the range will reveal the most reliable gun. There is definitely a point of diminishing returns as you move up the 1911 price scale, but mechanical reliability should be found near the bottom end, and as you get near the top (is there a top? I've handled a custom 1911 that cost over $5000 . . .) you are paying for preferences and detail work that may or may not affect anything but pride of ownership.

Uncle Malice

Here is my 2 cents... take it at face value for what it is worth.... from a non-1911 owner.... but I hope to be within the next year.

I have done my fair share of research on the 1911 as well many of the manufacturers. This is my recommendations to you:

If this is your first 1911, don't blow your money on a Les Baer... you don't even know that you'll like the gun that much. There are many people just on this board alone who have a Rock Island Armory 1911($400-$500 range) that has been completely reliable for them. On the flip side, there are many people that have had Kimber or some other higher-end 1911 manufacturer who has been a piece of junk.

From everything that I've read and what I understand... I think my first 1911 will lean towards the Springfield Armory style in either mil-spec or Loaded format.

My reasons are this:
1. SA stays true to the design specs of the 1911 gun... some manufacturers like SIG and S&W make slight variations to the design. This means that many 'standard' 1911 parts will not fit on these guns... This just 'bugs' me.
2. SA has an excellent reputation for customer service. I seldom hear of anyone complaining about their SA-produced weapon, and if they did have problems.. a quick trip back to SA almost ALWAYS renders the weapon fully functional - often times resulting in 'extras' for your hassle.
3. Customization: the SA mil-spec 1911 is a great base model to have an endless amount of gunsmithing done on to produce a truly custom gun. built upon a great foundation.

These are my opinions only, but I stand by them.

2. SA has an excellent reputation for customer service. I seldom hear of anyone complaining about their SA-produced weapon, and if they did have problems.. a quick trip back to SA almost ALWAYS renders the weapon fully functional - often times resulting in 'extras' for your hassle.

i sure hope you're right, my friend :)

i bought an EMP40 last week and had to send it back to springer the very next day (never even fired it). i took it apart when i got home and noticed gouges & a chip inside the slide, and bad machining on the outside of the barrel! I know this isn't typical-that's just my luck to get the one in a million with these issues lol.

this lady named Vickie at springer was really nice on the phone and instantly emailed a shipping label to me. hopefully i'll have it back soon, i wanna shoot that little sucker :eek:

Uncle Malice

Wow! I've been thinking about the EMP too but I think I'd prefer the 1911 in it's intended caliber. It is a really nice looking little gun though. I hope everything works out for you, friend!

I have noticed over the past year that all firearms seem to function much more reliably in the caliber they were originally developed around...

For example, my Glock's function much more reliably in 9mm than in .40 S&W.... In contrast, the USP and M&P models were developed for the .40 and both feel great when shooting that cartridge.

Maybe it's all psychological. *shrug* :D

67survivor

My 2cents

I have been a avid shooter & hunter for many years, alot more active in the last 3. My father and I are both 1911 "NUTS". We have 13 between us, 1 Wilson,3 Colts, 5 Springfields, & 4 Kimbers. We have had a few others that we have traded or sold for different reasons. I have had 1 problem with a used Kimber Pro Carry and traded it right away. I have been fortunate to be able to shoot many others over the years, inexpensive ones and very high end ones. I think the most bang for the buck is a Springfield, their customer service is absolutely the BEST in the business. They have always been very helpful with any question we asked, we also have fortunate to have never had to send anything back. Please don't misunderstand me, I am very happy with ALL the 1911's we currently own. I just believe for someone that is new to the 1911 that SA is the "safest". I hope you enjoy your new purchase as much I have enjoyed ours.
"BEWARE" the 1911 is a addiction that cannot be treated by any Dr.or any other healthcare professional.