1911 Project?

jcsturgeon

Hey guys. I had this idea:

I would love to get a "no frills" 1911 clone and customize it myself. Slowly add new sights, trigger, breavertail, mainspring housing, hammer, just give it a whole makeover to build my own custom 1911.

Currently, I have a Rock Island Armory 1911-A1 but while it's a good value for the price, it's not exactly the kind of foundation you want when building a customized firearm like this. I want to start looking for a nice base gun to use for this project.

What would you recommend?

I was thinking maybe a Springfield Armory Mil-Spec. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Don P

Currently, I have a Rock Island Armory 1911-A1 but while it's a good value for the price, it's not exactly the kind of foundation you want when building a customized firearm like this.

Why in your opinion would this not be a good foundation pistol?
Yes the SA Mil-Spec has some of the work done by the factory that would be done in a build and the RIA would give you the chance to gain experience in doing the work that the SA already has done at the factory.

9x19

Unless you plan to cut your own sight dove-tails, you might want to buy a pistol with a dove-tailed front.

Other than that, plan on a few tools to go with your other parts as most will require fitting to some extent.

bitttorrrent

I am about to order your gun - a RIA 1911 gi version which is on sale at Buds - 380.00.

I was thinking of upgrading also, but the sites sound like that would be a problem. Would i have to get the tactical one in order to replace the sites. This already has a better trigger and beaver tail, but then I am getting closer to 500.00

Really I would like a Ruger sr1911 but can't find, should I get the RIA as a cheap cheap without hoping to upgrade or wait for a better one (Ruger or SA)?

On the fence and don't know. I'd like to just order the RI cause it will be my birthday present in few weeks.

Turbocharged

I was looking into something similar and decided between 3 pistols...RIA Match, STI Spartan, and Springfield Range Officer. They are all pretty basic guns that are hand fit with match barrels/bushings, have beaver-tail safeties, adjustable rear sights, and the RIA and STI come with fiber optic front sights. They also all have an extremely good reputation.

I just found a Spartan on gunbroker for $530 and picked it up from my dealer yesterday. Here's a picture of mine...

attachment.php

Attachments

• DSC_0090_LQ.jpg
    DSC_0090_LQ.jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 399

WVsig

I was thinking of upgrading also, but the sites sound like that would be a problem. Would i have to get the tactical one in order to replace the sites. This already has a better trigger and beaver tail, but then I am getting closer to 500.00

Really I would like a Ruger sr1911 but can't find, should I get the RIA as a cheap cheap without hoping to upgrade or wait for a better one (Ruger or SA)?

On the fence and don't know. I'd like to just order the RI cause it will be my birthday present in few weeks.

I would wait or get the tactical because you will have to mill the slide. That will cost you at least $50. With the tactical you get Novak cuts IIRC.

I personally would not use an RIA for a custom build because it is a low end 1911 and I would want to build on a better foundation. YMMV

As for the Spartan they are good guns if you like their look and want adjustable sights. That slide is cut for that sight profile and as a result you are locked into that config unless you want to pay someone big $$$ to weld and build it back up. IMHO when you are talking about $600 production 1911 the terms like match grade/hand fitted are marketing terms more than anything else.

WC145

Check out the Para GI Expert. I bought one for a dedicated .460 Rowland project. It's a tight, solid gun, with very good reviews and an excellent price (got mine for $449 from Bud's Police Supply). It's also on Clark's list of "approved" (ie: strong enough) guns to use with their .460 Rowland kit. It's some desireable features already there, like a dovetailed front sight, and is a good shooter as is. Should make for a decent project gun.

SDC11751.JPG

CastleBravo

I think it depends on how much faith you have in your ability to do the work really well. If you're unsure, then ruining a RIA is a lot less painful than turning a Colt, Kimber or SA into scrap. :D

bitttorrrent

RIA Match, STI Spartan, and Springfield Range Officer.

ok

RIA GI - 380.00 (too basic - specifically the sites)
RIA Tactical - 445.00:)
RIA Match - 550? - (out of stock)
Para GI Expert - 553.00 (available in ss!):rolleyes:
Ruger SR1911 - 588.00 (out of stock):mad:
STI Spartan - 628.00:rolleyes:

Mulling.....
My quest for a cheap 1911 just keeps bringing me up the ladder.
But from the above the STI I have read about and looks great but am over budget. The Para which I had not considered looks pretty good and will be comparing to the RIA Tactical.

Thanks for the info -

para%252520gi%252520expert%252520ss.jpg

ARM51431FC_1.jpg_1.jpg

jcsturgeon

I'm not planning on doing any cutting or anything too drastic. Just looking to add a new trigger, hammer, sights, mainspring etc... just plug and play replacement parts. I've toyed around with my RIA 1911 and I never had to do anything where I had to alter to gun to get all the parts to fit. Since I played around with it a bit I installed a shok-buff kit, a full length guide rod, a hammer, a beavertail safety, a trigger... and I took them off and re-installed the factory parts.

The reason I don't think it's a good starter gun for my project is because it's just not that high quality. I'd love to get a high quality piece first and use that as the base for making customizations.

Catchabullet

Get a Colt, you won't regret it.... i bought a Colt Commander From Ken (wildwestalaska) three years ago and had him completely customize it (piece by piece). people tell me it's a fine pistol, whenever i work (at the shooting range).

tahunua001

people dont normally customize a GI for reasons other than building a gun that they are personally attached to. a RIA, springfield, kimber, it doesn't matter, you will never get nearly as much out of it as you put into it.

as for "if it's a good idea or not". no it's not a bad idea and many 1911 owners recommend starting base and adding as you go. now for matter of personal opinion and preference. I would rather "pretty up" a springfield than an RIA but that's purely "party politics" on my part.

I would actually encourage you do do this, but not for reasons you may think. the more you take a gun apart and change out the parts, the more you are getting intimately familiar with your platform. it gives you an indepth knowledge of how your gun is put together, how the parts operate in tandem with other parts and makes you much more proficient at troubleshooting than you would if all you've ever done is field strip and clean it.

A milspec springer would be a great choice, but I have to disagree with you on the quality of rocks. They're built well and use good steel. Finish quality may be lacking a bit as compared to some others but that is easily remedied. For my money, if I were going to do a custom job I go with the rock.

jcsturgeon

Well, my RIA jams. A lot. I've used 400 grit sandpaper and a dremmel to polish the feed ramp but it still hangs up sometimes. It gets worse as it gets dirty. If it was more reliable I might consider it as a good starter piece.

I did the exact same to my Springfield Armory Mil-Spec. Flat mainspring housing and trigger, Ed Brown beaver tail, polished feed ramp, crowned the barrel, Cerakoted in black...etc..

It's not 100% reliable like it used to be. Ie: light strikes.

Funny too cause I JUST bought myself a RIA 1911... Just for giggles. $411 the "Tactical" one. Even told myself I am NOT touching this one at all.

SA 1911 - XD45 - G21sf - G22 - G27 - Hk USP 40 - SIG P226 E2 - Browning High-Power - S&W M19-3 - CZ-82 - S&W 642 - Remington 870

WC145

Well, my RIA jams. A lot. I've used 400 grit sandpaper and a dremmel to polish the feed ramp but it still hangs up sometimes. It gets worse as it gets dirty. If it was more reliable I might consider it as a good starter piece.

RIA has great customer service and I'm sure they would have been happy to fix the problem, though I'm not sure if they would still cover it since you've been at the feed ramp with a dremel.

KyJim

Depending on your comfort level, you might also take a look at Fusion Firearms 1911 kits which include the major components like slide, frame, barrel, etc. Novak cuts already made, fronstrap checkered, etc.

Just click the 1911 Kits link in the left frame: http://www.fusionfirearms.com/