1911 Project, suggestions feedback

ajacobs

I am starting another 1911 project and I am looking for feedback on the work I will have performed as well as my parts choices. Also let me know if I am leaving something you feel is important out.

My Background: This will be my 5th custom 1911 I have a Gunsite service pistol (lightly custom), and 2 full blown custom guns from cylinder and slide (an adventurer and a p-12) and 2 others from QPR.

Permamiters of project: I am going to use a local smith for the first time who appears to do excellent work in the many examples of work I have seen at the gun shop. But given the nature of the shop he does not do to many full custom packages, usually just site work etc. I am starting with a Kimber Stainless II that I have and would like to put no more than 1000$ into it including labor to create my new carry gun. I will not compete in any format with this firearm. I will order the parts myself from brownells and other places as I have a C&R ffl and I get the trade discount.

Parts to install:

C&S Tactical match kit with Chamfered Hammer
Wilson Stainless Bullet Proof Slide Stop
Ed Brown SS firing pin stop
Ed Brown SS Wide Thumb Saftey
Ed Brown SS Flat Mainspring Housing 20lpi checkered
Ed Brown Memory Grove Grip Saftey
Dlask Short Trigger
Wilson BP Stainless Extractor
Heine Kimber Slant Pro's

This puts me into the parts for about $350

I haven't got a price quote for anything from him yet but I would have about $650 left for labor

I would have all the parts installed
I would have the gun Bead blasted
I would have the barrel crowned
I would have the Front strap checkered
I would have the feedramp polished
I would have a trigger job (minimal as the parts are already tested on a frame)

Well what do you think/what am I neglecting?

taco

If this is not a match pistol then is it for carry or target shooting or just plinking pistol? What you put on the pistol depends on what purpose it will serve.

ajacobs

I guess it wasn't very clear, where I stated it above, but this is to be a carry pistol. I will not compete with it in any form.

Wildalaska

Hi..

Everything that follows is of course IMHO, based on the extensive work our shop does on 1911s.

1. Use a Colt as your platform rather than the Kimber. Without saying anything bad againsts Kimber, the Colt is a superior product. If you already have the pistol and dont wish to trade out or sell and buy a Colt, go to step 2.

2. All the Ed Brown parts are excellent, as are C&S. Use the C&S extractor rather than the Wilson. The C&S are the best out there. Use the EGW slide stop rather than the Wilson, we use EGWs all the time and they are superb.

3. If you are using a Kimber with a barrel bushing, the factory busing must be replaced. Use an Ed Brown or MGW bushing.

4. Shoot your gun before customizing. If it feeds everything oK (ball and your defense load), leave the feed ramp alone. Likewise if it shoots accurately, leave the crown alone.

5. Don't forget to have the pistol de-edged.

ajacobs

Thanks allot for your in depth reply. I do already have the kimber, unfortunatly. I love the colts but at the time they were not making any series 70 guns. The kimber is not my favorite but I already have it and I don't sell guns. I checked into the cylinder and slide but they don't make an extractor in stainless.

motorep

I'd lose the wide safety. There are any number of slender "tactical" safeties on the market. I just don't care for the big paddles, even on a match gun.